Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

I NEED an indoor 3d plane! low budget

Old 11-08-2008, 08:55 PM
FlyingLakland

Default I NEED an indoor 3d plane! low budget

i was thinking, why not get into indoor 3d, so if you can help, what is a good low buget setup for a simple 3d indoor plane, ive heard of the budget rc arrow, what do you guys think of that. thank you for all the help in advance.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Ben_E

Originally Posted by FlyingLakland View Post
i was thinking, why not get into indoor 3d, so if you can help, what is a good low buget setup for a simple 3d indoor plane, ive heard of the budget rc arrow, what do you guys think of that. thank you for all the help in advance.
Do you want to build from scratch or get one of them ARF's?

Ben_E
Old 11-09-2008, 07:04 PM
FlyingLakland

yeah arf, i would FAIL if i were to build my own, but someone has said to me that the dw planes are pretty good, i think i might try that. what do you guys think
Old 11-09-2008, 11:13 PM
Ben_E

OK!

I have bought Elegent 3D 85% ARF w/ motor & ESC from Hobbycity

And I'm very happy with it. Everything but batteries and RX included. All you should do is to cover the fuse with packing tape because the foam is a little brittle...

More info at the Hobbycity website

And the price is good too!

Ben_E
Old 11-09-2008, 11:14 PM
Ben_E

Links:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...w/_motor_&_ESC

Video: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMzfCZKAFD0[/media]

More than you can expect for less than 60$
Ben_E
Old 11-10-2008, 04:16 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

wow, thats a good deal. thanks for the link!
Old 11-11-2008, 06:20 AM
Sentertainment
Hobbyist/Web Developer

I bet you could make a smaller one using HobbyCity's 5g outrunner and 1g BL ESC!

I've been tempted personally...lol
Old 11-23-2008, 02:57 AM
aramsdell

Try also the Great Planes Pluma . I have mine set up for outdoors and fly it with a 3S 910 mah pack . I fly it in wind and dead air . Great performer much as the one in the video above. Knife edge loops and insane climbing tight flat spins yeah. I could fly this indoors no prob. and I have never flown a plane indoors.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:17 PM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Originally Posted by Sentertainment View Post
I bet you could make a smaller one using HobbyCity's 5g outrunner and 1g BL ESC!

I've been tempted personally...lol
Yeah I almost ordered those there, when placing an order a few days back. With the $20 2.4gm ZX tech receiver from BP (and a few other decent low dollar 72MHz rec's), there is stuff out there to build a decent indoor flyer on a budget for 72MHz. The 1gm ESC is a Turnigy, which also seems to be better than some of their no-name brands from what I hear. Same goes for servos at HC. They have some 3gm jobs dirt cheap. I've been taking these tiny servos apart lately and adding pressure to the pots, which seems to be the major problem, so with a bit of effort you can probably get them working, if they aren't. There have been complaints on them, but for 6 bucks you can have 2 servos, if they work or you can get them working.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:46 PM
indsolutions
EET

Default hobbycity bipe

I had this same plane. It flew great and the electronics were good, but the depron was very brittle. The plane can not take any abuse. I would recommend buying the plane and making a template so you can cut out your own copies using 3mm depron.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...w/_motor_&_ESC

Video: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMzfCZKAFD0[/media]

More than you can expect for less than 60$
Ben_E[/quote]
Old 12-02-2008, 10:59 PM
darylm44

For your first indoor foamie I would not recommend a bi-plane. I have tried to build something that would fly slow indoors and have finally found an inexpensive set up that works.

Hobby Lobby foam profile YAK - I purchased 2 for $13.00 apiece. The price varies between $13.00 and $25.00.

From Hobby City.
1x #TR2204-14T/6547 TURNIGY 2204-14T 19g Outrunner variations = $10.99
1x #TR_P10A/4204 TURNIGY Plush 10amp 9gram Speed Controller variations = $13.95

You will also need 3 Servos HXT500 5g / .8kg / 10sec Micro Servo @ 3.49 ea.

If you build this using Foam Safe Thin CA with a 500 mah 2S lipo it should come out at 7.5 - 8 oz. I am using a 9x3.8 slow fly prop.

For $62 + battery & receiver you can have an indoor foamie.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:49 PM
indsolutions
EET

I would stick with the biplane. It has less wing loading, which will allow you to fly at a much slower rate. This will enable you to practice your 3D maneuvers with less worry about crashing. I've been flying indoors every winter for 4 years, and my indoor flying has greatly improved my outdoor flying. You should buy some 3mm depron and copy any planes you like. As you build each plane, be very weight conscious. I use a new version of Gorilla glue called White Gorilla glue. The last plane I built (YAK with 33" ws) only had 2 grams of this glue and total weight w/battery was 5.6 ounces. Biplanes will be ~1.5 oz. heavier, but they have more wing area and are more friendly to the indoor flyer. Check out the E-fest in Champagne, IL in February. The champion pilots will be flying biplanes.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:13 PM
EDFrules
GravesRC enabler d:)

FancyFoam.com has some great indoor bipes that sound like just what you're asking for. Vrolet,Blender,Maxum, Xcaliber.
http://stores.homestead.com/fancyfoa...Categories.bok

Or if it's an indoor mono: Northeast Sailplanes distributes the Clik and Jazz as well as some other nice foamies.
http://nesail.com/detail.php?productID=5441
http://nesail.com/detail.php?productID=5364
Old 12-03-2008, 08:04 PM
caltrop
Can't Help Myself

Question MS Composit

Here's the MS Composit Pitts Bipe.
http://www.mscompositusa.com/pitts-s...plane-epp.html

All EPP foam except for the tail. These planes are a bit heavier than Depron but can take a beating and glue back together easily.

Some LHS's carry MS Composit at least where I live.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:44 PM
indsolutions
EET

Default EPP Pitts

This plane is too heavy for indoor 3D flight. You will have to maintain a higher speed just to keep it flying. You will spend most of your time flying in a pattern.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:47 PM
caltrop
Can't Help Myself

Arrow LightFlite

How about a LightFlite Bug?
http://lightflite.com/

I have one of these and it does indoor 3D. Flies outdoors too, nearly indestructible, does combat, & loads of FUN

The kit is complete and all you have to do is add a receiver - $160. You do have to build the thing though and order an extra tube of UHU glue from them since UHU is no longer available in stores.

Make sure you click on the right button; their web site is a bit confusing. I bought mine about a year and a half ago at the Toledo OH show for $150. There's an "Indoor Season SPECIAL Combo" about half way down the web page.

This is not the standard paint job, I wanted something different than the other dozen or so at the field and in the gym. I also put different servos & ESC in mine; I'm using a 3S LiPo instead of the stock 2S. You can get a plain white and paint it anything you want; Krylon Fusion spray paint works good on EPP foam.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LightFlite Bug - 1 - S.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	85674
Old 12-04-2008, 11:35 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

I will second the vote for the Bug. I fly mine more indoors than outdoors. Don't really know why, but it flies so nice indoors.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:49 AM
caltrop
Can't Help Myself

Talking Indoor Bug

Mine is a little hopped up but it still flies indoors. In fact I was just told that my club is doing an indoor fly this Sunday. My Bug and I will be there as well as my Vapor. I might even try out my repaired Blade CP Pro heli; the darn controller went out and I have converted it to Spektrum DX7.

My mCX heli is sick right now waiting for Horizon to get parts in sometime after Christmas...

The Bug is pretty crash proof with the carbon fiber hoop around the propeller & motor. I'm thinking of getting a new one because the current version is starting to get pretty chewed up especially doing full contact combat.

I was considering the mini-Bug but I was told it flies a bit different than the Bug; a bit like the mini Swift & Swift II, they look the same but fly different.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:23 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

If you can wait a while, check this out.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:36 AM
caltrop
Can't Help Myself

Cool COOL

COOL but who knows when that will be in stores.

It's really nice to have these micro planes that anyone can fly just about anywhere. And the planes are like the real thing and not just another AirHog; I mean that you can teach someone real RC skills with these micro's. It's going to be real cool to have a 4CH micro!

Horizon has been coming our with some neat things but they're having a supply & demand problem.

I'm still waiting on a flybar for my mCX.