Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

HYPERION BF-109E 25e ARF

Old 12-04-2008, 01:11 AM
Daylight99

Default HYPERION BF-109E 25e ARF

This one is going to sell out fast.
http://www.quietrcflying.com/Product...d=HP-BF109E-25
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	BF109-25-BoxLabel-1200.jpg
Views:	987
Size:	508.0 KB
ID:	85649  
Old 12-04-2008, 01:38 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Whoa, that is really nice! Unfortunately, I just promissed my wife that I would not buy any more airplanes before Christmas.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:15 PM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

Hot damn! I've been waiting for this one for a while. Gotta wait till after Christmas now.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:43 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

That ME-109 looks really nice, but $210 is a bit expensive... :o
Old 12-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
It's nice. You get what you pay for. I would have no qualms about paying that kind of money for Hyperion quality. Of course my airplane buying budget says differently
Old 12-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Ben D wing

But lightweight retracts are included in that price!
Although tail struts aren't. It says the builder needs to make them out of 2mm balsa.

It's uber cool anyway !
Old 12-04-2008, 10:05 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Why do you need tail struts? The original airplane didn't have them on the early models, and my GWS ME-109 hasn't had them in 100+ flights.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:51 PM
Ben D wing

Why do you need tail struts? The original airplane didn't have them on the early models, and my GWS ME-109 hasn't had them in 100+ flights.
Because the real BF-109E had them. They are only for decorative puposes on this kit and are not structural so could be omitted if you're feeling particularly lazy I guess.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:45 PM
crash_out
Misanthropic Member

It looks nice, as do most of their planes, but I worry about paying that much for what I've perceived to be their quality...I bought their 40e Extra 260, and 2 of the servo mounts broke out of the plane when I was drilling the servo mount holes. One was an easy fix, the elevator I had to remove the covering from the opposite side of the fuse...so now I have a gaping hole there, and after buying three different brands of white covering I still can't get one that matches.

The covering also wasn't very good-the color layer had cracked and seperated along every edge.

Maybe this was an exception, but considering what they charge for their planes, I'm not really up to taking a chance on it.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:16 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Originally Posted by Ben D wing View Post
Because the real BF-109E had them. They are only for decorative puposes on this kit and are not structural so could be omitted if you're feeling particularly lazy I guess.
Ugh -- I really hate it when people call me "lazy". Anyone who calls me "lazy" obviously has no idea who I am, or what I stand for...
Old 12-06-2008, 12:06 PM
Ben D wing

Ugh -- I really hate it when people call me "lazy". Anyone who calls me "lazy" obviously has no idea who I am, or what I stand for...
Oops, no offence LL, I didn't mean that you are lazy, I was trying to say that anyone who didn't feel like fitting the struts need not do so as they serve no structural purpose on that particular model.
Apologies if I hurt your feelings, that was not my intention.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:39 PM
merctech

Wow sounds like someone needs to get over themselves.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Originally Posted by Ben D wing View Post
Oops, no offence LL, I didn't mean that you are lazy, I was trying to say that anyone who didn't feel like fitting the struts need not do so as they serve no structural purpose on that particular model.
Apologies if I hurt your feelings, that was not my intention.
Thanks man -- sorry about jumping on you like that... 2008 has not been kind to me at all... :o

Back on topic -- I've been eyeing this model for the last several years, but it's never in stock... The price sure is right though, and it won't tipstall on you, like the ME-109 would.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:44 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Thanks man -- sorry about jumping on you like that... 2008 has not been kind to me at all... :o

Back on topic -- I've been eyeing this model for the last several years, but it's never in stock... The price sure is right though, and it won't tipstall on you, like the ME-109 would.
How do you know the 109 would tip stall while the Zero would not?
Old 12-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Experience, my good man... Experience.

As far as warbirds go, the Zero airframe is extremely stable -- the ME-109 airframe is extremely UNstable. :o
Old 12-06-2008, 08:49 PM
crash_out
Misanthropic Member

You'll find very few 109's used in RCCA scale combat. The consensus is that when done to scale, the tail group is simply too small. I can't verfiy that, but it does make sense-many of the German planes have smaller tailfeathers when compared to others.

The 109's that do fly in combat typically have the tail group enlarged.

I'm actually working on a hybrid GWS/scratchbuilt 109. The fuse and tail will be stock GWS, and the wing will be done to scale with my own airfoil, probably either an RG-15 or Eppler 205. I've had good luck with both airfoils for stable flight.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Some of the other Hyperions have been at good sale prices at Allerc. I've been tempted. They all look nice.

Originally Posted by crash_out View Post
You'll find very few 109's used in RCCA scale combat. The consensus is that when done to scale, the tail group is simply too small. I can't verfiy that, but it does make sense-many of the German planes have smaller tailfeathers when compared to others.

The 109's that do fly in combat typically have the tail group enlarged.

I'm actually working on a hybrid GWS/scratchbuilt 109. The fuse and tail will be stock GWS, and the wing will be done to scale with my own airfoil, probably either an RG-15 or Eppler 205. I've had good luck with both airfoils for stable flight.
Want a hybrid scratch build GWS style 109? The Stryker Man free plan (2 yrs ago) is exactly the same scale. I rounded the fuse formers a bit, to aviod the "Volvo" look, and copied the GWS airfoil section for my wing. The GWS section is close to an Eppler 205, with a bit more undercamber.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ME_109_Stryker_1.JPG
Views:	405
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	85845   Click image for larger version

Name:	ME_109_Stryker_4.JPG
Views:	403
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	85846   Click image for larger version

Name:	ME_109_Stryker_14.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	85847  
Old 12-06-2008, 10:31 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Experience, my good man... Experience.

As far as warbirds go, the Zero airframe is extremely stable -- the ME-109 airframe is extremely UNstable. :o
This is not something that I know for a fact to be true, but I think it has more to do with the wing design (and other features) of each particular scale model than what full size aircraft is being modeled. So it may be true that a GWS Zero flies better than a GWS Bf-109, but it may just as easily be true that a Hyperion 109 flies better than a World Models Zero. In fact, I have heard that the WM Zero is quite a handful.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:40 AM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Perhaps -- but I will go out on a limb and say that even Depron "flat foamie" airplanes tend to fly like their full scale counterparts.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Originally Posted by Fly Time View Post
This is not something that I know for a fact to be true, but I think it has more to do with the wing design (and other features) of each particular scale model than what full size aircraft is being modeled. So it may be true that a GWS Zero flies better than a GWS Bf-109, but it may just as easily be true that a Hyperion 109 flies better than a World Models Zero. In fact, I have heard that the WM Zero is quite a handful.
I've been trying to say this forever. By rights, the 109 is widely accepted as one of the best profiles for scale warbirds. Long nose and tail moments, good wing area without unreasonalble taper or high aspect ratio. The Zero's short nose in itself, makes for a warbird that requires ballast. Whenever you have that, you will have many bad reports, as flyers just hate to make their plane any heavier with needed ballast. They do fly much better in all respects when heavier but balanced, but some just hate to add weight.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:57 AM
tommytorino
tommydsblog.blogspot.com

One of the best pilots at my field has a scratch built giant scale Zero. Let me tell you this thing is a MONSTER to land. Oh he gets it down all right, but 50% of the time it's over on the nose and goodbye prop. <Ca-Ching>

My 25 size China Zeke is a mild mannered model. Did they cheat like hell on the wing? You betcha!

FSK 109 also flew like a dream, but what would you expect from FSK.

Crash Out are their many P-51s flying RCCA? I ask as the scale 51 tail is smaller then both the Spitfire and the 109. That's full scale tail group that is.

If I had the the $$$ I think I would go with the KMP version. Photo of local electric guru's 109 enclosed. Flys like it's on rails. Another expert pilot though!

Guess all this babble adds up to we don't know how the Hyperion 109 is going to fly. My guess is about as good as, or better then their P-51 or their Spitfire.

And that's pretty good!

Tommy D

Old 12-08-2008, 01:08 AM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

...and it's a '109, so it's got to be good!

I know exactly what you mean about the ballast in the nose of the Zero. However, the solution is NOT to add ballast, but to go with a bigger motor.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:36 PM
cv640

Guess all this babble adds up to we don't know how the Hyperion 109 is going to fly. My guess is about as good as, or better then their P-51 or their Spitfire.

And that's pretty good!

[/quote]

I hope it flys better than their P-51 25E, I had one, flew it three times and gave it away so I didn't have to look at it anymore and think about how much money I put into it. With 540W it would barely loop had the roll rate of a freight train and would just lumber around like a bloated slowflyer. Many of the plastic parts were under-molded the retracts kept falling apart and the included motor mount was too short to rear mount the motor and too long to radial mount it (not to mention it looked nothing like the one in the manual). I went back to my converted GP Combat Mustang and haven't looked back since.