Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Finished my GWS ME-262....

Old 12-14-2008, 08:04 PM
jismail

Default Finished my GWS ME-262....

WW2 bird with fairly conventional WWS fighter lines and EDF fans to boot... what's not to luv?!

Build was very easy and with the newer GWS kits, I didn't have any issues with the fans or spindles like in the older kits.

I also utilized the nacell covers and sturdy nose cone I got from one of the guys on the RCGroups board... really nice add on...

I am a bit concerned with air flow after my 2200 20C battery was already warm after bench testing the motors, so I put a hole in the botton of the nose cone and glued a tube into it directing air right to the batter and ESC area.

All in all, nice kit and sounds way cool when I run up the motors... I got the whole thing as a bundle from the GWS website and it came complete minus battery and RX for $199 and it included dual 30amp ESC, 4 servos, 2 fan units and 2 motors. (It came with the higher KV blue motors not the green) and all y-harnesses and extension wires.

I ran it up last night and it really seems to have great thrust....

Check it out!

Old 12-14-2008, 08:21 PM
max2112
Super Contributor

Default Ooohh ... Aaahh

You have a FANTASTIC looking warbird, jismail! "Job Well Done!" on your paint scheme and realist looking cammo. She looks great and I can't wait to hear how the maiden flight goes.

Originally Posted by jismail View Post
...I am a bit concerned with air flow after my 2200 20C battery was already warm after bench testing the motors, so I put a hole in the botton of the nose cone and glued a tube into it directing air right to the batter and ESC area.
Your inlet tube for the cooling air looks good, too. How did you setup your exit hole for the air? I've always been taught that for any incoming airflow (for cooling anyways) you should have twice the outlet.

Again, ConGrats on a great looking foamie!
Old 12-14-2008, 08:29 PM
jismail

Originally Posted by max2112 View Post
You have a FANTASTIC looking warbird, jismail! "Job Well Done!" on your paint scheme and realist looking cammo. She looks great and I can't wait to hear how the maiden flight goes.

Your inlet tube for the cooling air looks good, too. How did you setup your exit hole for the air? I've always been taught that for any incoming airflow (for cooling anyways) you should have twice the outlet.

Again, ConGrats on a great looking foamie!

Thanks for the kind words. I used sponges to make the camo with a base of medium green, and highlights of olive drab and dark green. The bottom is gull grey.

The airflow exit is already made in the tail and by design is supposed to be fed by the 4 gun ports in the nose but I didn't see enough airflow with just them (plus I further reduced the amount of air by putting in gun barrels) so that is whey I put in a 1/4 inch tube in the bottom of the nose cone.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:48 PM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

The nose venting is minimal, although any air exchange is much better than none. More dosen't hurt though.
These kits are a deal. I recently finished one with Microfans and 6000kv motors, so I have the fans left over. That said, I ordered the $40 slope kit from Tower 2 days ago. Should have ordered 2. I have another that is repairable, after having the BEC overheat. I can't even say lesson learned, as I knew not to put the ESCs in the fuse. My current has them in the fans.

As for the plane, it flys as good as any. I should have no nervousness about flying my current one, with onboard BEC after the last incident, but still do. Really need to put up the current one below:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ME262_GWS_Microfan_10.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	86709  
Old 12-14-2008, 08:57 PM
jismail

Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
The nose venting is minimal, although any air exchange is much better than none. More dosen't hurt though.
These kits are a deal. I recently finished one with Microfans and 6000kv motors, so I have the fans left over. That said, I ordered the $40 slope kit from Tower 2 days ago. Should have ordered 2. I have another that is repairable, after having the BEC overheat. I can't even say lesson learned, as I knew not to put the ESCs in the fuse. My current has them in the fans.

As for the plane, it flys as good as any. I should have no nervousness about flying my current one, with onboard BEC after the last incident, but still do. Really need to put up the current one below:
I too have the ESCs in the fuselage. Is that really going to be a problem? In addtion I am not running a seperate BEC. Do you think the stock motors and servos draws enough current to need a seperate BEC with this setup? (4 servos and 2 motors)
Old 12-15-2008, 03:23 AM
USMC_VTOL_Mech

the 262!
one of my favorites!
I think I am on my ninth one since GWS released it

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk2qmPpv6z4[/media]

Name:	planes and stuff 081.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	86753   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes and stuff 084.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	86754   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes and stuff 086.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	86755   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes and stuff 088.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	86756  
Old 12-21-2008, 07:36 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Originally Posted by jismail View Post
I too have the ESCs in the fuselage. Is that really going to be a problem? In addtion I am not running a seperate BEC. Do you think the stock motors and servos draws enough current to need a seperate BEC with this setup? (4 servos and 2 motors)
I really wasn't overdrawing mine. They just slowly heated up to the point that the shrink wrap peeled off. Shut down right on my landing approach after 4 min flying. The ESCs still work, as I believe the BEC (use only 1 of 2) got too hot and shutdown. I think the moral of the story is that no matter how large of an ESC you use, it will still overheat without some ventilation. My new one has the ESCs in the fans, but if I were to put them in the fuse again, I'd cut a hole in the wing and put an air scoop on it. Not the prettiest, but then again I'd still have my first 262 also.

Vtol, you are on your 9th? You should have enough parts left over to build some really cool scratcbuilds. Gotta get you to check out the Luft'46 site.

BTW, I just got another NPS kit the other day. Get 'em while they're still 40 bucks. Had the fans already, since my current one has Microfans and resized nacelles.

Name:	DSC_0001.JPG
Views:	437
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	87414  

Last edited by Bill G; 12-21-2008 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:29 PM
jismail

Default very unsucessful maiden....

My friend and I each built a 262 and we headed out to the field last weekend for the long anticipated maidens......

well, it didnt go as planned.

He went first and using a medium length runway, he barely cleared the wheels when it veered to the left and cartwheeled breaking his wing. It was a clean break and easily repaired on the spot.

Then it was my turn. After watching my friends takeoff, I figured it needed more speed for takeoff so I used the maximum length of the runway. I kept it on the runway as long as possible then gentlly lifted off. It flew straight and level for about 50 yards, but as I had to gain altitude and make a turn to miss the backstop at the end of the field, I was forced to make a turn.

As soon as I did, the plane seemed to stall out, did a fade to the right, and fell back to earth, breaking off my right wing, tail, and right nacell.

I was able to fix the damage, although it pretty much smashed the wing and it didnt go back together nicley because it wasnt a clean break, but the rest was okay.

So, what is the trick to this bird? It seems way to heavy for the amount of thrust the 2 stock motors are producing. I am running a 25c 3s 2200Mah lipo and based on the takeoff, I think I am balanced out well.

Is this too heavy of a bird to expect to get a decent flight out of?
Old 12-29-2008, 06:55 PM
USMC_VTOL_Mech

Bill
Yeah don't think I missed that pic of your mini 262! My attic looks like the Nazi airfields did after the allies came thru and busted up everything!
On another note I just picked up the HET 262 for a steal!
Jismail
As for flying the 262 and almost any edf they need a long gentle climbout to gain momentum. If you ry and turn her too early the results could be disaserous as you found out! Give her another go and I personally would shoot for a bit larger on the batery size. Once you get her figured out the results are a spectacular looking and well flying bird!
Old 12-29-2008, 07:21 PM
Kirsty_Carnage
A/V + A/P Camera operator

I have noticed with all these EDF jets that the wheels are down! Don't they have retracts? I hate seeing jets flying dirty, kills it for me.
Jismail, nice paint job, very nice indeed.

Kirsty xx
Old 12-29-2008, 07:50 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Kirsty_Carnage View Post
I have noticed with all these EDF jets that the wheels are down! Don't they have retracts? I hate seeing jets flying dirty, kills it for me.

Kirsty xx
Kirsty::It's a dirty look but I don't have the $$$ or time to notice , I wish some STRONG ones would come out that don't cost more than the plane did,HaHaaa! Bub Steve, PS your photo site's Great! you got a good eye for it!

Name:	petty an red 8830.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	88350   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 8832.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	88351   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 8800.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	88352  
Old 12-29-2008, 07:50 PM
USMC_VTOL_Mech

Kirsty
There are retracts available in this size but they tend to be pricey for air ones. As for mechanical ones extra wieght and durability issues are the problem. My 5th (I think) one had retracts and they were always a pain to mess with
I picked up a set of HET air retracts for my HET 262 but I think it is gonna bungee launched instead.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:29 AM
Kirsty_Carnage
A/V + A/P Camera operator

Thanks guys, I see hobbycity have some cheap air retracts, will any of thiers do the job!

Kirsty xx
Old 12-30-2008, 05:45 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Originally Posted by Kirsty_Carnage View Post

Kirsty xx
The GWS 262 nose really isn't factory designed to accept retracts, but could easily be bashed in. GWS now has a steerable nose retract, about the same strength level as the "blue" main retracts they've had out for a while. They are heavier than the tiny GWS micro retracts, but not very abuse worthy. For mech, I'd probably use something like the smallest Robart nose retract, and a Great Planes .10 retracts for the mains.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXES10&P=M
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUY31
I'd probably want to hear some good reports before I went to air retracts from HC. The retracts do make the jet much less of a floater with the added weight, however. To avoid the dirty look I'd probably just build light, avoid all gear, and hand launch.

In today's ARF only world, you won't see too many GWS 262s with retracts, since that actually involves work. I installed retracts in my GWS A4, and made quite a job out of it, to use a single micro retract servo. This is really the way to go, if you're trying to avoid tank building. Working out the linkage takes a bit of thought.

Name:	A4_Skyhawk_GWS_12.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	88406   Click image for larger version

Name:	A4_Skyhawk_GWS_14.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	88407   Click image for larger version

Name:	A4_Skyhawk_GWS_16.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	88408   Click image for larger version

Name:	A4_Skyhawk_GWS_ret_dgrm.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	88409  
Old 12-30-2008, 07:35 AM
tommytorino
tommydsblog.blogspot.com

..... hold the phone!

I thought the GWS 262 was an AWFUL flyer.... nearly impossible to hand launch and just a pitch chasing bucking bronco in the air....???

Someone straighten me out!

Tommy D
Old 12-30-2008, 06:10 PM
USMC_VTOL_Mech

Bill
That's what I used in my 262 with retracts...the Robart's . Those now reside in my A-4. I would post a vid here but this is a 262 thread,

Tommy
Sounds like your CG was off. Mine flies perfect and I even fly it with a 3400 Mah 4 cell battery. That's what was in it in that vid above
I set my CG point right where the manual states it should be and have yet to havea problem with one
Old 12-30-2008, 07:37 PM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Originally Posted by tommytorino View Post
..... hold the phone!

I thought the GWS 262 was an AWFUL flyer.... nearly impossible to hand launch and just a pitch chasing bucking bronco in the air....???

Someone straighten me out!

Tommy D
It's not easy to launch. My first (killed by BEC brownout) was heavy though. Took a few tosses to get going, and had damaged the thin plastic nose in the process. May have not been so bad if it was 8oz lighter, like most non-covered builds.

The plane was as easy to fly as any good docile trainer. Probably about the most relaxing EDF flight I've ever had. As you know Tommy, it's a shame so many morons give planes false bad reports. The CG needs to be further forward than these "bad reporters" have flown with. I've gone back and forth with those folks before, on how swept wings on models do not move the CG back as far as calculated. Not worth argueing anymore. They can crash, and I'll fly.

I didn't notice any horrible speed related pitch problems, but GWS probably could have even done better, if they had added a degree or so of downthrust to the nacelles. With none, it probably needs a bit more forward CG than otherwise necessary.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:14 PM
tommytorino
tommydsblog.blogspot.com

I have never owned one, or even held one in my hands. When it first came out I was "hot" for it. Who would not want a 262 EDF right?

When I saw the size of the nacelles I got sick, but hey, that could be fixed if it was a good flyer.

The as the "early birds" got their kits the first few crashed. Lots of talk about extremely sensitive elevators <rearward C of G?> and pitching up under throttle.

Next thing you know their was talk about mis made EDF plugs, adapters or whatever, so I closed the book on this one.

No one still makes an inexpensive foam job, so I wonder if it's worth the 40 or so bucks to buy one and "have at it". I do like what looks like modded nacelles in the OP.

So is their a decent build thread to brief? If nothing else I would like to see how to mod those intakes.

Tommy D
Old 12-30-2008, 10:08 PM
USMC_VTOL_Mech

Bill
You know what? Now that I think about it you might be right. I had always mixed in about 10% down elevator with the throttle to compensate for the extreme lift when accelerating. I never even thought to move the CG forward. It didn't seem to have any other tailheavy tendencies except ballooning under power.
I have built to many of these GWS 262 that now I just automaticly mix the down in without thinking about it
BTW Bill do you have the HET 262? I need to find someone who does and pick their brain for some info
Old 12-30-2008, 10:22 PM
USMC_VTOL_Mech

Tommy
actually if you can get ahold of the updated fans and the 3 MM adapters they are a very nice fan unit for the money. I was running jetscreamers and 4 cell with mine and no issues. There was a little trick I learned though after about ten sets of fans. I kept blowing fans up while static testing. Finally I said [email protected] it and just took off and flew it. Flew great and really quick. Didn't have a fan problem at all once airborn. Seems static testing is a tad to much for the fans on 4 cell screamer power.....but the vid shows she flies great!
(I do change the fans about every 10 flights or so. But hey...they are like 2 bucks....cheap insurance!)
Old 12-31-2008, 01:10 AM
dogsheep
Banned

I just got one 2 days ago, with brushless motors, and they are trash-one made 17 amps and the other 27. I asked GWS US to charge me for a replacement motor and cross-ship, with credit when the defective one was received. The comment was, "No," and "What's the hurry."

First and last GWS for me.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:14 AM
dogsheep
Banned

Originally Posted by USMC_VTOL_Mech View Post
Tommy
actually if you can get ahold of the updated fans and the 3 MM adapters they are a very nice fan unit for the money. I was running jetscreamers and 4 cell with mine and no issues. There was a little trick I learned though after about ten sets of fans. I kept blowing fans up while static testing. Finally I said [email protected] it and just took off and flew it. Flew great and really quick. Didn't have a fan problem at all once airborn. Seems static testing is a tad to much for the fans on 4 cell screamer power.....but the vid shows she flies great!
(I do change the fans about every 10 flights or so. But hey...they are like 2 bucks....cheap insurance!)
Where are you buying the fans?

I can't find any of the "new" style.

Thanks
Old 12-31-2008, 01:22 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Tommy The nacelle mods do make them look much better. My pic posted earlier has the nacelles lengthened and norrowed at the opening for 6000kv Microfans. Actually just lengthening the stock nacelles makes them look much better, and helps with the added noseweight needed in addition to a 3s-2100 size lipo. They really aren't that oversized, but the portion in front of the wing is too short, thus making them look so disproportioned.

Vtol, don't have the Het. Looks nice, but too much loot, with these nice foam ones out there.

Dogsheep, I had good success with the GWS inrunners until burning one out. Honestly, it finally burned out in an overpropped setup, in never in many EDF flights, but what got me is when I took it apart:
I noticed that they had numerous nicks in the windings, which was the weak spot that blew on my GWS motor. At the factory, I assume they used some type of solid bar inserted in the case after installing the winding set, and just slammed it with a hammer to pack the windings in tight enough to install the endbell. Now that's quality manufacturing. I won't buy anymore after seeing that.

Try Epyaya, for one, to get the new style fan/adapters. There are others if I think about it. Maybe BP?

GWS makes good planes, servos, and micro receivers. The receivers have kinda become obslete, as there are DSPs out for little more now, but they are still a decent low cost park rec. Everything else they have made should NEVER be bought. It's a shame, as it just gave them a bad rep. How they think they can increase the prices on this junk is beyond me. Again, the cheap stuff was ok for low dollar when it first came out, but is now obsolete, as you can take your chances with equal quality cheap stuff at HobbyCity for 1/2 the cost or less.
Just buy their foam planes, as I do. NPS.

Tommy another thing I forgot to mention about the nacelles is that the fans can be installed directly into the front. Looks more scale, more serviceable, and adds needed forward weight without lead. My Microfan mods are shown below, but there is a thread titled something like Microfan 262 in the GWS fourm at RCGoofs.
EDF64 fans can also be installed directly into the front of the nacelle. If you build out the lip of the nacelle even a mere 1/2" and then install the stock 64mm fans in front, they look much better. This is my first build with the 64mm fans:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=618958

Name:	ME262_GWS_Microfan_2.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	88500   Click image for larger version

Name:	ME262_GWS_Microfan_3.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	88501   Click image for larger version

Name:	ME262_GWS_Microfan_6.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	88502   Click image for larger version

Name:	ME262_GWS_Microfan_10.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	88503  

Last edited by Bill G; 12-31-2008 at 02:14 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:57 AM
tommytorino
tommydsblog.blogspot.com

Ok, so what does the extra $10 buy you on the NPS version <50 vs 40$>.

Might pick one of these up, but I'm afraid it will have to be hand launched.

Tommy D
Old 12-31-2008, 09:06 PM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Originally Posted by tommytorino View Post
Ok, so what does the extra $10 buy you on the NPS version <50 vs 40$>.

Might pick one of these up, but I'm afraid it will have to be hand launched.

Tommy D
The fans come in the NPS. The $40 version has no fans. I think it also has no landing gear wire bent, which for me is not a big issue. I usually end up bending my own, since theres are never bent to my likings.
I don't think handlauching will be a problem. Mine was just at that point of being a bit too heavy and underpowered. I had 4900kv Hacker Eseries in the EDF64 which were not well suited. Probably would have had more thrust with around 4000kv. I also had iron-on covering and and extensive reinforcements. If the plane had just a bit more thrust, and most importantly had been about 4oz lighter, it would have probably hand launched well.

Last edited by Bill G; 01-02-2009 at 09:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Finished my GWS ME-262....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.13886 seconds with 26 queries