RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

DX6i ailerons not symetrical

Old 01-07-2009, 04:56 AM
meesier42

Default DX6i ailerons not symetrical

so I am getting started in 3D flying and just got started with a Spektrum DX6i. Well I noticed something that has to be the radio that I don't understand and hopefully someone here can help me understand and possibly overcome.

I have the r/l ailerons set to the ail/aux1 channel on the AR6100 rx. I have the dual aileron enabled on the tx.

when I set the travel limits to 60% on the aileron/flap channels, this limits the throw to ~1" which I feel is controllable for now. BUT. the left aileron has 1" up travel, but full throw on the down! the right doesn't do this and is acting symmetrically. Now, there is a trick to make them symmetrical, using the D/R & Expo, but I should be able to do this in either mode.

Is there something that I don't know about setting the travel limits that will keep the throws symmetrical.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:03 AM
Twmaster

This is one of the most un-fun parts of setting up an airplane.

It sounds like you need to recenter your control linkages.

Remove the linkage from the servo. Remove the servo arm place the servo arm at neutral. Put control linkage back on the bird and center the control surface. Do this for both sides.

That should fix it.

If not, take two aspirin and call us in the morning.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:11 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by meesier42 View Post
so I am getting started in 3D flying and just got started with a Spektrum DX6i. Well I noticed something that has to be the radio that I don't understand and hopefully someone here can help me understand and possibly overcome.

I have the r/l ailerons set to the ail/aux1 channel on the AR6100 rx. I have the dual aileron enabled on the tx.

when I set the travel limits to 60% on the aileron/flap channels, this limits the throw to ~1" which I feel is controllable for now. BUT. the left aileron has 1" up travel, but full throw on the down! the right doesn't do this and is acting symmetrically. Now, there is a trick to make them symmetrical, using the D/R & Expo, but I should be able to do this in either mode.

Is there something that I don't know about setting the travel limits that will keep the throws symmetrical.
Are you using the travel adjustments to limit throws when you could be using dual rates to do this for you, or are you trying to set a throw range now and then use dual rates from within that range?

Are you using the differential setting at all?
Old 01-07-2009, 06:47 AM
xuzme720
c'mere Monkey

Location: Just North of Houston.Heard of Dayton? I didn't think so...

Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post
Are you using the travel adjustments to limit throws when you could be using dual rates to do this for you, or are you trying to set a throw range now and then use dual rates from within that range?

Are you using the differential setting at all?
Differential was my first thought when I read the first post...that or end points setting. Actually, after a little thought, I think end points are a more likely due to just the one side acting that way. Do what GRU said and set endpoints all the same, then either toss in a bunch of expo or set up dual rates. Is differential good to have on a 3d bird?
Old 01-07-2009, 11:36 PM
meesier42

ok, its not the control arms, they are neutral and set correctly, and no I have not yet set any differential, and yes I did verify that it is set correctly.

the issue is that I wanted to use the travel limit vice the D/R. Maybe what I need is someone to fully explain the difference between D/R and travel adj.

As far as the menus go
Menu 1) D/R &Expo
Menu 2) Travel Adjust

to get symmetrical movement, I have the following settings,
in D/R&Expo, 60% + 40% on the aileron, no changes in the travel adj

so, if someone could please fully explain how D/R if different than travel adjust and why travel adjust with dual aileron isn't symmetrical on the left aileron.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:49 PM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

since you're using ailerons on 2 seperate channels and using flapperon mixing, you have to adjust the travel on the channel the second aileron is plugged into. i dont remember if its gear or aux1 or aux 2. i maybe wrong, but i remember it being like that.

travel adjust, changes the settings on the channel and being dual servo, its on 2 seperate channels. dual rates will change the settings on anything the aileron stick moves.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:33 AM
meesier42

I tried that, its Aux 1, but when I adjust the travel, it only adjust the left aileron in the up direction and I am still getting full throw down, when I set the Aileron travel limit it is symetrical, its controlling the travel on the aux channel that I get this odd result
Old 01-08-2009, 12:33 AM
xuzme720
c'mere Monkey

As far as the menus go
Menu 1) D/R &Expo
Menu 2) Travel Adjust

to get symmetrical movement, I have the following settings,
in D/R&Expo, 60% + 40% on the aileron, no changes in the travel adj
I think what is happening is you need to set both the aileron channel and whatever aux channel the second aileron servo is plugged into to the identical settings for travel adjustments. It almost looks looks like you had dual rate set up on just one servo...

I guess the easiest way to explain dual rates is this: when D/R switch is off, full travel is selected. when D/R is on, only the percentage is available. If you select 50%, half of full travel will happen while D/R switch is on.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:36 AM
xuzme720
c'mere Monkey

I tried that, its Aux 1, but when I adjust the travel, it only adjust the left aileron in the up direction and I am still getting full throw down, when I set the Aileron travel limit it is symetrical
You have to adjust the travel in both directions...and on both channels

Try setting travel while moving the stick left, then again while moving it right
Old 01-08-2009, 12:42 AM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

also in the menu where you choose flapperons (i dont know exactly how to do this on a dx6i) it has a setting for input select and it should say flaps and flap trim. you should turn those off.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:06 AM
meesier42

yup flaps are off, ok, I'll try again
with the D/R set to 100%, expo to 40%, both the Aileron and Flaps (Aux1) channel with the travel adj set to 60%, what final output is that the right aileron acts as I expect ~1" deflection in each direction, the left aileron goes up 1", but has 1.75 inches down. In other words, the Aux aileron travel is only limiting travel in one direction
Old 01-08-2009, 01:30 AM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

yup flaps are off, ok, I'll try again
with the D/R set to 100%, expo to 40%, both the Aileron and Flaps (Aux1) channel with the travel adj set to 60%, what final output is that the right aileron acts as I expect ~1" deflection in each direction, the left aileron goes up 1", but has 1.75 inches down. In other words, the Aux aileron travel is only limiting travel in one direction
even when you adjust both positive and negative on the aux channel?
Old 01-08-2009, 01:33 AM
meesier42

how do I adjust the positive and the negative? I only see one adjustment

and it only takes 1 adjust to limit the other aileron as expected and it is symmetrical
Old 01-08-2009, 01:49 AM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

the travel adjustment should have 2 numbers. when you move the stick one way it change one number, when you move it the other way it'll change the other. do that for both aileron and aux.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:23 PM
meesier42

ok, I see the directional arrows, I need to check that it works correctly, but I am expecting that it will, thanks