General RC E-Heli Talk General discussion forum for electric powered rc helis.

Which economy heli for simplest/beginner 3D ?

Old 01-08-2009, 02:09 AM
userrc

Default Which economy heli for simplest/beginner 3D ?

Hello,

I have been flying HBFP. I have been practicing simple/beginner 3D maneuver (loops,rolls) in simulator on small CP helis.

Please recommend economy CP heli which is:
1. Lowest repair cost
2. Easiest to setup and repair
3. Capable of simple/beginner 3D maneuver (loops,rolls)

Possible Options:
4G3
BeltCP
King 2/3
Copter X
HobbyCity HK-450
Mini Titan
Gaui 100/200
T/Rex 250

Please feel free to advise ANY heli that meets all three criteria.
All advise/comments are very welcome !

Thank You.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:19 AM
xuzme720
c'mere Monkey

Location: Just North of Houston.Heard of Dayton? I didn't think so...

I personally like the Trex 450's, they are stable birds and parts are readily available almost anywhere. I started with a Walkera 60, and after changing the radio and the tail servo, it flys ok. It's just not near as solid as the Rexy and I'd be hesitant to go full 3D with it. it exibits frame flex that I've never seen on the Rex...
Old 01-08-2009, 04:56 AM
helibeg

it depends of how much you call economic... after you get and economic heli you will start to get upgrades, and upgrades...if you look behind in a few months you will spent the same money than get a great heli like trex 450.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:46 PM
MaxAdventure
AMA 198798

You can always go for a Trex 450 clone, save some cash, same performance. I think it takes a little more up front TLC, but it's a cheaper way to start out.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:47 PM
MaxAdventure
AMA 198798

Here is a thought: http://runryder.com/helicopter/t489780p1/
Old 01-27-2009, 11:33 PM
rcshirt

the biggest factor to consider is can you get parts.
if your learning that is going to need replacements . so find your hobby shops and find what parts they carry first.

PLUS the wordt problem withe the RTF helis(other than the blade 400) is the radio system. The do fly them fine but are sensitive and allow verry little adjustments.
put them on a goo 6ch computer radio and most are fine.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:35 AM
helibeg

Originally Posted by rcshirt View Post
the biggest factor to consider is can you get parts.
if your learning that is going to need replacements . so find your hobby shops and find what parts they carry first.

PLUS the wordt problem withe the RTF helis(other than the blade 400) is the radio system. The do fly them fine but are sensitive and allow verry little adjustments.
put them on a goo 6ch computer radio and most are fine.
The radio is an important factor, if you get an RTF it will come with a very cheap radio and to be honest you will not use it anymore after you get a new heli, or a bigger one cause you will need more setting to adjust that a good radio will help. So the best? ok, get an trex SA or XL, then a very good radio, servos and gyro and you will be happy that you can swap those eletric parts to a new one later. Just one investment first, then all is less.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:27 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

My vote is for the Trex 450. Thats what I started with and I'm still in love with it. The best part is I can get parts anywhere and most hobby shops will always have what you need in stock!! I hate to have to order parts. The waiting game sucks.

CTD
Old 02-04-2009, 06:04 PM
Mysterious

don't know how u can include trex in economy class... is it a better buy if u know u r serious on the hobby and plan to buy a good radio, then yes....

but economy, cheap repair & still decent to start with good part quality is BeltCP no doubt imho... and beltcp v2 comes with hh gyro...

a newbie on any CP heli is going to crash the heck out of it in year 1 unless u r a prodigy or spending a couple hours a day on a sim... and it doesn't take much of a crash to do damage to a CP.

I have the BeltCP v1 RTF, its a really nice beginner buy imho, solid quality, good for learning, etc
Old 02-04-2009, 06:54 PM
helibeg

Originally Posted by Mysterious View Post
don't know how u can include trex in economy class... is it a better buy if u know u r serious on the hobby and plan to buy a good radio, then yes....

but economy, cheap repair & still decent to start with good part quality is BeltCP no doubt imho... and beltcp v2 comes with hh gyro...

a newbie on any CP heli is going to crash the heck out of it in year 1 unless u r a prodigy or spending a couple hours a day on a sim... and it doesn't take much of a crash to do damage to a CP.

I have the BeltCP v1 RTF, its a really nice beginner buy imho, solid quality, good for learning, etc
+1 the only thing that i can add!!! dont buy a motor tail heli!!!!!. I have mine on the closet, much better my trex to learn than the other one.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Crash9
www.FPVpilot.com

After owning about 9 helis and flying for 4 years starting with a CP. I would vote for a Trex or Trex clone. Parts are everywhere and cheap. I wish I started with a Trex, would have saved alot of money on parts alone. Very stable and will grow with you as you get better.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:39 PM
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Mysterious View Post

I include the Trex cause of the reasons stated above by Crash9 and myself. There is nothing wrong with the Belt CP but it isn't as good as a Trex. If you want to fly 3-D the Trex will smoke the Belt CP. I think the basic Trex kit is only about $100.00 these days. Besides after a couple of crashes with the Belt CP you could of bought the Trex. I taught myself to fly Helis last winter, 6 months of sim time prepaired me for the real thing. When I started flying the Rex it was actually easer than flying on the sim. Of course the pucker factor isn't there when you fly on the sim. I have only had 2 real crashes in about 150 flights on my Trex 450SE. The Trex ROCKS THE HOUSE!!

CTD
Old 04-05-2009, 10:56 PM
Dennis H

Here a good simple rc heli for $35
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...Helicopter_Kit its the same size as the T-rex 450, No Electrics, But you can also buy all the part you need from them,You can get one flying for under $200. way cheaper than the T-rex 450, And yes I know what I'm talking about I own a T-rex SE 450 too, and got about $500 in it!
And if you are looking for a bigger one, I got a E-Smart 600 class heli. From E-Sky And got it flying for under $500. where as the T-rex 600 will set you back some big bucks
Old 07-27-2009, 02:21 PM
Tsurwolf

Default HK 450

Dennis H
That helli you said is a surefire winner in my book, i got two of those hovering in the back yard ( about 40ft square).
I started with just the radio ( JRx388S ) and some 2200Ma LiPo battery's that were on hand, so had to basically order the whole setup, all up cost was around $140 AUD each.
My only real concern were the blades ( cheap nasty looking BUT worked )
so i got some $6 FG blades included in another order, they are much smoother that the originals.
I am just at the hovering stage, and will be trying forward flight and laps as soon as the weather lets up a bit, so there will be crashes involved I am sure. To that end after looking at the cost of replacment parts, i just ordered two more kits at $35 bucks its a whole helli repair kit.

A club member showed me a sim he got the other day at $26 "with a USB cable" so it works with my JR TX ( yah we pluged mine in ) my one is on the way i hope, so maybe i can reduce my down time due to repairs a bit with practice on the sim.

Back to the HK450 i could not be any happier with my limited experiance, other than to say that if you are a beginner at helli's then get some help in setting your's up, and set the travel limit on your radio to give you zero to neg 1 degree pitch at low throttle ( this will save you a tailboom strike on a heavy setdown ) experiance talking there ( it was heading to the shed backwards at a rate of knots) blade holder/feather shaft bent 60 degrees/flybar bent "repairable" new blades/tailboom had a 10mm hole in it " repairable", all in all a minor accident.

Happy camper about the HK450

Cheers TBBW
Old 07-28-2009, 10:01 PM
Mattflyer

Well, I am a newbie so I'll throw in my two cents.

My first heli experience was with a raptor g2 by exceed... what a mistake that was. Heli was junk and needed lots of upgrades just to get off the ground. I junked that one in the back of my closet somewhere. Then I got a Honeybee FP. That was a great learning tool. When I decided it was time again for a CP I went witht he belt cp v2.

Things to keep in mind with the V2:

a. you will not find parts at your local hobby shop. I buy all my parts online. I receive them within 4-5 days so it's not bad and there are not hobby shops in my area so it works out well. The parts are cheap, stick with the plastic avoid the CNC upgrades until you no lnoger crash every other flight.

b. you will not get the performance of a Trex but it will do basic 3d just fine. I loop, roll and invert my V2 w/ no problems.

c. you will want to upgrade your radio. you can buy an ARF kit and get a good radio to start, taht would save you money in the long run. However, the stock esky radio worked fine for me until I saved $$ between parts to upgrade to the DX6i.

Overall I am happy with my V2 for now.

www.youtube.com/carballom1983
Old 08-25-2009, 11:24 AM
skyzoid

Besides after a couple of crashes with the Belt CP you could of bought the Trex.
This doesn't make any sense. It you crash, you have to pay, no matter what model you fly. Flying a Trex isn't going to prevent crashes.

CPs are easy to fix and cheaper all around. And they are fun to fly and the pucker facter is not so severe. Learn and wait for your Trex until your crashes are fewer and farther between.

Nobody would hand you their Trex and say "Here. Try this and see what you think." unless they know you are a proficient flyer. So don't do it to yourself.

Last edited by skyzoid; 08-25-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:41 AM
dbcisco
Like to build 'em

My suggestion is get a t-rex compatible clone ARF with a CNC head and tail and get good servos, RX, motor and ESC and (to start) a decent rate only gyro. Take the money you save and get a good 6ch TX. When you get good with that, upgrade the gyro to a dual rate. I'm building a Trex from parts and it is going to cost me less than a store bought one, however I could have done a clone for a lot less. I started the project a while before the cheap clones came out so it is a little late to turn back now. If I had it to do over again, I would get a clone. BTW I have Helimax 400 that is only 90% compatible with Align but cost half as much. Putting Align, Helimax and a bunch of "chinese clone" parts side by side with micrometers and maginifiers, I can't say that Align is any better "quality".