Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

radian mods.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:16 AM
Keith C

Default radian mods.

After crashing my radian and breaking the fuse in half across equipment bay area i saw another in the same cond. Mine also craked over wing saddle.
Under the canopy the foam is about one half inch thick. I cut a groove all around this "lip" and filled it with gorilla glue and 4 strands of heavy kevlar fishing line.
Also 4 groves across top of fuse above wing.
This should add some much needed strength to these areas.
Havn't flown since.
Keith C.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:02 AM
clyde

Default My Mods

After my Radian got caught in a monster thermal and almost ended up in the next county, I installed a "lost plane finder". It's an inexpensive beeper that you plug into the receiver. I hope I never have to actually use it.
I also added some carbon fiber strips to the leading edge of both wings and also a strip down the underside of the fuselage.
Also don't forget to use a little tape to hold the wings on securely.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Keith C

Default radian mods

Whats under the long strip of tape along the belly of the radian.
Mine seems weak across the last half of the fuse.
It is not exactly straight.
I thought of adding some more stiffning to the belly under this tape.
Thanks Keith C.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:01 PM
Big Bird

Originally Posted by Keith C View Post
Whats under the long strip of tape along the belly of the radian.
Mine seems weak across the last half of the fuse.
It is not exactly straight.
I thought of adding some more stiffning to the belly under this tape.
Thanks Keith C.
Mine's the same way, a little flimsy and not exactly straight. Explained the mystery of why I always had to trim the rudder a little to one side. I thought of installing some kind of spar to stiffen it but don't think it's really necessary and then I'd have to add equal weight in front of the COG to balance the thing. For the soaring that this plane is made for and best at, that little flimsiness and warp is no big deal at all. It might matter if you were going to try to fly this plane as a stunt plane. It is not. Get something else for that. This plane's specialty is not barrel rolls, inverted loops, inverted flight, hanging on the prop, nor any other of those high powered, high speed crazy stunts, although it does have the capability and power to do all but the barrel rolls (no ailerons.) There are dozens of planes much better than this one for that. This is a very unique plane, and my very favorite of all I've flown, for just sending up with about 20-30 seconds of 1/2-3/4 power then lying down under the shade of a tree and watch it soar. I can't think of anything more relaxing. It's about the cheapest therapy I can imagine and takes me far from the maddening crowd for those portions of an hour that I just lay there gazing into the sky and following this huge bird, that I am attached to and with every second, float on the warm breeze. Wow! What a trip.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:05 PM
Gohmer
Banned

Smile My Mods

2" wide black stripes 2" apart on the bottom side of the wings.
One coat of Minwax satin poly on the whole airframe.
AXI 2212/20 outrunner.
Deans ultra connectors.
Aeronaut 10X7 prop, adapter, hub, spinner.
Nylon machine screws thru the wing into the spar to hold it in.
TP 1350mah 3cell prolite V2.
320watts/28a.
26.5 oz. AUW
Old 06-30-2009, 11:08 AM
Keith C

Gohmer, can you explain more about the screws in the wings?
My fuse developed too much bend at the vertical seem so i pulled the long tape off the bottom. There is a piece of wood or plastic? about 1/2 inch wide and pehaps .030 thick imbeded verticly the whole length of the fuse. I cut part of this out and made the groove wide enough to embed 20 inches from the tip of an old fishing pole.
I also glued the control rod sleeve into its groove across the seam.
I noticed that there was no glue in this seam when i took the plane from the box.
I should have glued it then.
Parkzone , are you listening? Put some glue in this joint.
Thanks, Keith C.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:56 AM
Gohmer
Banned

Smile

Originally Posted by Keith C View Post
Gohmer, can you explain more about the screws in the wings?
My fuse developed too much bend at the vertical seem so i pulled the long tape off the bottom. There is a piece of wood or plastic? about 1/2 inch wide and pehaps .030 thick imbeded verticly the whole length of the fuse. I cut part of this out and made the groove wide enough to embed 20 inches from the tip of an old fishing pole.
I also glued the control rod sleeve into its groove across the seam.
I noticed that there was no glue in this seam when i took the plane from the box.
I should have glued it then.
Parkzone , are you listening? Put some glue in this joint.
Thanks, Keith C.
There is a 3/8" OD hole in each wing in line with the spar. I enlarged the top part to " and epoxied a " OD nylon bushing into the hole. Tapped the bushing for #10-24 machine threads, drilled a hole half way thru the spar and cut a #10-24 nylon machine screw to a length to enter the spar hole and bottom on the bushing.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:45 PM
dicks

Have you ever measured the Radian's current drain on the rud & stab servos? I haven't, but I removed the servo arms from the servos and tested the pull required to move the rud/stab and it seems excessive, especially with the rudder because of the bend of the control rod. Any inputs?

dicks
Old 11-22-2010, 03:54 AM
kdisjubjub

my plane that i bought came is a little box that beeps if the plane has power but there is no connection with your TX. i pluged the beeper into the grear slot in my spectrum reciver. and now if i toggel the switch on channel 5 on my Dx5e then the beeping well start. it will also beep if no tx is connected. it is a great mod and i really sugest it.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:36 AM
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

I am sure most of you have found the wings start getting a little loose in the saddle. Don't forget, you can boil water and dip the inner wing joiner in it, let it dry, and it will be very snug for a pretty long time. This foam has pretty good memory.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:06 PM
Saddlebum
The Old Guy Returneth...

Default Vintage Radian...

I have about 150 flights on my Radian. Flew it two to four times a week since spring.

When I first learned to fly it, I crashed while landing by stalling it about 20 feet off the ground. The crash snapped the fuselage in half just over the wing saddle.

That experience and a video of violent tail shake prompted me to install two 1/8" carbon fiber strips; one from just behind the canopy to the tail (on top) and one from just behind the servo bay to the tip of the tail (on the bottom).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4266.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	139364

That mod gave me much more stability, especially in the wind.

Also, I have installed a ThermalScout, a keychain camera and an EagleTree altimeter.

The altimeter has shown a maximum altitude of 1,155 feet!

...The Bum
Old 11-22-2010, 05:08 PM
Saddlebum
The Old Guy Returneth...

Originally Posted by dicks View Post
Have you ever measured the Radian's current drain on the rud & stab servos? I haven't, but I removed the servo arms from the servos and tested the pull required to move the rud/stab and it seems excessive, especially with the rudder because of the bend of the control rod. Any inputs?

dicks
Disconnect the rudder pushrod, make two 45 degree bends in it to relieve the "strain" of it's acute angle, put it back and readjust the alignment.

Problem solved.

...The Bum
Old 11-22-2010, 10:20 PM
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

EagleTree altimeter.

Dag-gone...got me by 8 beeps.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:57 PM
Saddlebum
The Old Guy Returneth...

Originally Posted by TM4197 View Post
EagleTree altimeter.

Dag-gone...got me by 8 beeps.
I want to do 1,200 before winter. I thought I was up there at 1,155 but found out the color of the sky (white or blue) makes BIG difference in how high you percieve the Radian to be!

...The Bum
Old 11-23-2010, 03:04 AM
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

I agree about the color of the sky. My problem is OLD EYES.!!!!
Thats why I bought the ALT/ I really wanted to know how high I was when I call it specked out. I have been higher than 1200 with some old sailplanes, but that was years ago when I could see them. So now, I think 1200/1300 is probably my max. And these pilots that see theirs at 2000+....all I can say is wow!! Just for fun, (years ago) we tied a 2m sailplane to a helium ballon (weather type) and measured out 2000 feet of line, let it go up...now the balloon was 8 foot in diameter...we could just make it out against the sky. But, we could barely see the sailplane. We knew it's attitude, because we tied it hanging flat. But, no way could I make out its attitude just by looking at it. My Mean Sea Level where I fly is 42 feet AGL..I always figure that in. Its fun trying to break records!Anyway, that radian of yours should break your record at 1500...let me know if you ever go above that..and if you ever found her again
Old 11-23-2010, 12:37 PM
Saddlebum
The Old Guy Returneth...

Originally Posted by TM4197 View Post
I agree about the color of the sky. My problem is OLD EYES.!!!!
Thats why I bought the ALT/ I really wanted to know how high I was when I call it specked out. I have been higher than 1200 with some old sailplanes, but that was years ago when I could see them. So now, I think 1200/1300 is probably my max. And these pilots that see theirs at 2000+....all I can say is wow!! Just for fun, (years ago) we tied a 2m sailplane to a helium ballon (weather type) and measured out 2000 feet of line, let it go up...now the balloon was 8 foot in diameter...we could just make it out against the sky. But, we could barely see the sailplane. We knew it's attitude, because we tied it hanging flat. But, no way could I make out its attitude just by looking at it. My Mean Sea Level where I fly is 42 feet AGL..I always figure that in. Its fun trying to break records!Anyway, that radian of yours should break your record at 1500...let me know if you ever go above that..and if you ever found her again
Even though the plane could do it, I suspect my eyes will be about done at 1,300 feet (and I have 20/15 corrected). At that point it will be time to change the color on the underside of the wings or maybe a bunch of LED's?

...The BUM