Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Polk Hobbies C-47

Old 08-18-2009, 05:03 PM
raido56
Not nuts I'm Plane crazy

Default Polk Hobbies C-47

Hi all, Flew my C-47 Saturday and it fly's very nice. Did it up with 2 Atlas 2915/08 motors that are 1710Kv. 2-50 amp ESC's and a UBEC to power the 4 servo's. I did have to mod the motor mounts a bit to make them fit. Not that hard just a bit of sanding off the inside of the motor mount rails so they would not rub. As you can see in the Pic's I mounted the ESC right on top of the nacelles so they stay nice and cool. I just cut out the size of the ESC's and put a small piece of control rod under them to keep them in place. Also zip tied the wires so they would not rub on the motors. I did not change the springs in the landing gears as it's only a 5 lb plane and if you land it right it won't bounce on you anyway. I did add wing and fuselage lights and also have landing lights that I can turn on and off from my transmitter. I also cut a hatch at the bottom front of the plane to make it easy to get to the battery's. The decals don't stick to the body of the plane that well so I did not add the back stripes. Might paint them on later. The wing stripes go on good but do tend to lift after a bit so I used some clear packing tape on the ends of the decals. The only glue I used to put it together was slow CA on the screws to hold the tail in place other than that no glue is needed on the plane. As for battery's I run 2-3 cell 30C 2200 packs in parallel and get about 7min flight time without hitting LVC. I also run 2-3 cell 30C 2870 packs and get about 9 to 10 min. I used all the stock hardware even the wood push rods I just added some heat shrink tubing over the ends were they were CA on to the metal rods. As for servo's I used 2- standard size Airtronics servo's for the rudder and elevator and 2-Cirrus CS-30BB servo's for the wings. I did not glue the wings together I just used clear packing tape as per the book works just fine. Now as far as the CG goes it was right on the money as per the book for me. I did not have to add any weight to the plane. I left the foam in the nose and cut out some of it to fit the 2 3-cell packs. I also have a 9 volt battery in the nose for the wing lights. I also did not mod the tail wheel it is free wheeling as the rudder is more than enough too steer the plane. I did cut away some of the plastic by the top wheel collar to make it turn easier. Now as for flying I fly at a grass field and with this set up the C-47 will take off in about 10 feet if I hit the power full on from the start. But I like too make it roll out nice and slow to make it look just like the real thing. It will loop and do inside rolls and also do outside rolls. It fly's inverted just fine and make sure you keep some power on in your turns. It lands just fine but I might add larger wheels because on a grass field it will stop real short not much roll out with the stock wheels. Other than that it's a great flying plane.

Keep em flying
Raido56/ Herb
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	C-47-1.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	107607   Click image for larger version

Name:	C-47-2.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	107608   Click image for larger version

Name:	C-47-3.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	107609   Click image for larger version

Name:	C-47-4.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	107610  
Old 08-18-2009, 05:28 PM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Looks great... can we compare, and let me ask a few Q's?

How did it handle on the ground? I didnt like the freewheeling tailwheel.

Can I see your battery hatch?

I like the idea of exposing the controllers.... I may use that.

How did you get the decals to stick on the fuse? The nose art on mine didnt stick for an hour (yup I cleaned the fuse).

Did you use the reccomended throws on the control surfaces? It seems I had to really turn down my EPA's to get the suggested control throw. I could really go much more.... but do I?

I see you put the invasion stripes on the wing, but not the fuse. Howcome?
Old 08-19-2009, 01:34 PM
cliffh

Are your stripes and markings "stick on" or decals?

On many of my planes, I've found that the stick on vinyl type don't stick very well unless I get out my sealing iron.....the one I use with MonoKote. I set the setting fairly low, then carefully iron the markings onto the surface. Too low heat won't do anything, and too high will cause damage, so be carefull. You want the heat setting that you normally use to just melt the adhesive on coverings, not shrink them.

Careful ironing, with special attention to the edges, and they will never come off.

Cliff
Old 08-23-2009, 04:06 AM
raido56
Not nuts I'm Plane crazy

Originally Posted by Nitro Blast View Post
Looks great... can we compare, and let me ask a few Q's?

How did it handle on the ground? I didnt like the freewheeling tailwheel.

Can I see your battery hatch?

I like the idea of exposing the controllers.... I may use that.

How did you get the decals to stick on the fuse? The nose art on mine didnt stick for an hour (yup I cleaned the fuse).

Did you use the reccomended throws on the control surfaces? It seems I had to really turn down my EPA's to get the suggested control throw. I could really go much more.... but do I?

I see you put the invasion stripes on the wing, but not the fuse. Howcome?
Hello NB,
It handles just fine with the free wheeling tail wheel. No problem at all turning left or right. I do not like the stock main wheels as they are a bit small for my grass field. So today I put on Dave Brown 3-1/2 inch lite flight main wheels on it. The ones with the ribs on them all I had to do was grind 1 rib off of each side of the wheels to make them work. I also put on APC 8x6E props to get a bit more power out of the motors. It now reads 675 watts at 71 amps total for both motors. I will get some pic's of the battery hatch up this week. Yes with the ESC on the outside they come down nice and cool. You can't go wrong doing it this way. I did use the recommended throws on the control surfaces and did not touch my EPA at all. I do have dual rates set up on all control surfaces.As far as the stripes on the body go they were a pain to go around the body so I left them off. As I said I might paint them on later. The other decals have a out line of clear packing tape on them. (Nope I didn't clean the fuse). I also changed the landing lights for the main wheels to the leading edge of the wings right after the motors. I like them better there.

Keep em flying
Raido56/ Herb