Special Interest Aircraft This is the place to discuss those unusual Electric aircraft. Ornothopters, RC Hang gliders, Parasails, Hydroplanes. Blimps, Airships, Gyro-copters, Hovercrafts, and anything else that I forgot.

Zveno I-4; Flying Aircraft Carrier?

Old 11-28-2009, 01:05 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Zveno I-4; Flying Aircraft Carrier?

The idea of a large "Mother" aircraft carrying a smaller "Parasite" airplane aloft has been around for years, and has been used successfully several times. However, the retrieval of the parasite aircraft by the mother ship is a bit more complicated. It has happened, though.
In the late 1920's the emerging Russian Air Force had a plan to carry aloft 2 (at first) fighters slung under the wings of the Tupolev TB-1 twin engine bomber. This concept was advanced by designer Vladimir Vakhmistrov and was approved for prototype production.
But the idea grew; Next they tried three fighters, two below the wings, one more above the fuselage. Eventually they tried (successfully) a remarkable inflight retrieval on a folding platform below the fuselage, called a "Spider". This was not intended to launch the aircraft, but to retrieve it inflight. With the spider extended and loaded, the bomber didn't have ground clearence for takeoff.
And it worked. Once. On April 5th, 1935, the Russians retrieved an I-Z fighter mid-flight. By now the mother ship was the TB-3, the four-engine version of the TB-1. The composite bomber with attached fighters (air-launch) was called the Zveno I-4 and it took off on that eventful day not with two parasite fighters, but four. Two above the wings, two below. After releasing the four fighters in-air, they retrieved a fifth.
http://aerostories.free.fr/appareils...ra/page19.html
And that wasn't all; The designer had plans to retrieve each aircraft in turn, to save their fuel and possibly to re-arm and re-fuel the fighters inflight.
Eventually the Aviamatka Z-6 bomber flew a single mission in the early stages of WWII with five parasite fighters, all successfully launched.
http://www.aviation-history.com/zveno/zveno.htm
There are other examples of parasite or air-launched aircraft in history,
http://www.vectorsite.net/avparsit.html
But the Zveno I-4 has to be the most remarkable!
Ron
Old 08-10-2010, 04:13 PM
skyman

I guess you could do it with a cargo plane with a large bomb-bay hatch at the rear so you could drop like PZ mini p-51.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:08 PM
eflight-ray

Default Flying Aircraft Carrier ?

When I saw the title I immediately thought of a 'flying aircraft carrier', such as in 'Sky Captain and World of Tomorrow', and of course 'Captain Scarlet' and their Cloudbase.

Perhaps I take things too literally.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sky Captain.JPG
Views:	8322
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	133796   Click image for larger version

Name:	Captain Scarlet.jpg
Views:	1938
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	133797  
Old 08-18-2010, 07:47 PM
skyman

well, a design like that is possible, but would be very hard to build.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:21 PM
enemyace19
Beware the hun in the sun

The U.S.S Los angeles,The Akron and the Macon also come to mind.