Indoor Electric Fly-In - E/xpo in the UNI Dome - Feb 20-21, 2010 - Cedar Falls, IA - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Events, Shows and Fun Fly's - Electric Airplanes Discuss details of events, shows and fun fly's in here. Be sure to also list events in our events calendar!

Indoor Electric Fly-In - E/xpo in the UNI Dome - Feb 20-21, 2010 - Cedar Falls, IA

Old 01-03-2010, 09:53 PM
rnleeper

Default Indoor Electric Fly-In - E/xpo in the UNI Dome - Feb 20-21, 2010 - Cedar Falls, IA

E/xpo in the UNI Dome - Cedar Falls, IA
Indoor Electric Fly-In
February 20 & 21, 2010
Adult Flyers $25 per day or $40 for both days
AMA Youth Flyers $10 per day
Spectators $5 / children 12 and under are free
Flying from 9AM until 6PM (Saturday) / 5PM (Sunday)

On the web at: http://www.expodome.org

AMA sanctioned event. All pilots must have a current AMA membership card. AMA Park Pilot and Youth members are welcome to fly at this event.

There's no other event like this one, so don't miss it! All types of Indoor R/C Electric & Free Flight Aircraft can fly here. Preregister and skip the line at check-in.

Others claim to be the largest indoor electric fly-in, but there's no doubt about the fact that this event has the largest Indoor Flying area. The ceiling is 162 feet high! The flying area is HUGE with almost 2 acres of floor space (78,000 sq ft). That's more space than 16 basketball courts.

New event this year - Blue Ray Pylon Racing! Contact Stan Sweet ([email protected]) for plans or precut kits.

"This event is about flying, not watching other people fly!" That's what one of our flyers said after he had attended another major indoor event and spent most of his time watching other people fly. In two days he only got in seven flights. At "e/xpo in the UNI Dome", he said he got so much flying time that his fingers were tired. That's the way we do indoor flying in Iowa! If you want to fly everything you've got and fly till you drop, this is the event for you. Most of the time will be open flying, but there will also be fun fly events. Bring lots of charged up Li-Po's, because you will need them. There's no line waiting to fly.

The UNI Dome has a hard roof with no fans or blowers inside, so it's perfect for everything from micro and slow park flyers to 3D and helicopters. Not only is the football field available for R/C flying, there's additional airspace over the seats on the East side of the stadium. (There's virtually no wall to hit on the far side of the field!) One end of the field is for 3D aircraft & helicopters, the middle is for "racetrack" or circular pattern flying and the other end is for micro flyers and free flight. All fixed wing aircraft must have a flying weight of less than 25 ounces. Helicopters must have 450 mm or smaller main rotor blades.

Sponsored by the Black Hawk R/C Pilots, AMA Club #792
Old 01-25-2010, 04:35 PM
SailingAlong

I am looking forward to this event and have registered for both days. The hotel rates are reasonable and close to the dome. Last year I had intended to drive down but got the flu the day before I was going to leave so I have been waiting for this years E|xpo with great anticipation

Steve
Lakeville MN
Old 01-25-2010, 05:56 PM
rnleeper

Smile

We'll be ready for you! A couple of changes at the Dome in the past year. The construction around the pilot's entrance is complete! No more baracades. There's room for several cars (or pickup trucks) to unload at the same time. A UNI Security Guard will be directing traffic during registration. He can also show you where to park after you unload.

There's a new balcony at the North end of the dome in front of the scoreboard. It's 3 stories above the Dome floor and has an unobstructed view of the entire Dome. It's a good spot to take pictures of aircraft in flight. There's also a new elevator that goes from the balcony to the Dome floor, so you can now get from the spectator entrance on the West side of the Dome to the Dome floor without going up or down any stairs.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:35 PM
SailingAlong

I wonder if there is room in the pilot line to put up a portable 4 foot table, chair, etc?

Steve
Old 01-30-2010, 11:11 PM
JustPlaneSweet
Electric Noob

Steve,

I am not sure what you are asking. There is room to put an eight foot table perpendicular to the wall, an isle, the safety fence and then the pilot station.

Are you talking about a table on the flying side of the safety fence?

Stan
Old 01-31-2010, 12:51 AM
SailingAlong

No, just where I park my planes and my body when I am not in a flight station

Of course, in the summer I use my outdoor lounge allot when I am flying!

Steve
Old 02-01-2010, 06:08 PM
JustPlaneSweet
Electric Noob

Default Blue Ray FAQ

Here are some frequently asked questions about the Blue Rays at the E/xpo in the UNI Dome:

Q- How fast is the Blue Ray?
A- A posting on the internet clocked a Blue Ray built according to the plans (except for centrally mounted aileron servos) at 83mph. If you use ratios for the prop change (5/6.5) and two cell lipo (2/3) we are around 43mph (3750 feet/minute). It will take about 2 seconds to fly pylon to pylon. I am estimating that a ten lap race will take between 1 and 2 minutes flying time.

Q- Do I have to use the scoop? <Insert thermodynamic or aerodynamic argument here>
A- Yes. It is part of the Blue Ray character. Think of it as the under wing radiator on a P51. You could omit it and you have seen models without it, but it does not look right. My ruling for a minimum acceptable scoop is that a US dime must fall through the opening under it's own weight.

Q- Why is the weight 11 ounce minimum? I can make the Blue Ray much lighter.
A- The intention is to make this a fun pilots race. There is no real advantage to expensive lightweight components or sophisticated building techniques. The higher weight will also hold down the speed somewhat.

Q- My radio does not have exponential. Do I have to use exponential on the Blue Ray?
A- Depends how good of a pilot you are. I recommend standing the servos up in the wings and attaching the servo arm 45 degrees relative to the pushrod to give you some mechanical exponential.

Q- How big of a carbon fiber spar do I need for the wing?
A- You do not need any carbon fiber to build a Blue Ray. Common filament strapping tape 2 to 3 inches wide applied to the top and bottom of the wing core are plenty stiff.

Q- How can I tell my Blue Ray from the others?
A- There will be lane markers provided for the races. These are colored sheets of typing paper that wrap around one end of the wing and are held in place with releasable shelf paper. You may feel free to decorate your Blue Ray with low temperature covering, colored packing tape or paint.

Q- How many Blue Rays per heat?
A- Four to Six. It is a hand launch start and the first turn will be interesting. Pilots need to work on a strategy to miss everyone else as they crowd around the first turn. The winning pilot may be determined by attrition rather than speed.

Q- Will my XYZ motor work?
A- The standard is for the motors listed in the racing rules. If a pilot challenges the legality of another pilots motor then the following test will be made. A known legal motor is run for thirty seconds and a rpm recorded. The prop and battery are transferred to the blue Ray in question and the rpm recorded. If the questionable motor is greater than 105 percent of the known motor, it is ruled to be illegal. The determination of the Contest Director is final.

Q- Everyone is talking about the wire cut wing. Is the fold over wing shown on the original plans legal?
A- Yes.

Q- Should I sand the wire cut wing to smooth it out?
A- Your preference. I recommend using the wing as is. There is a remelted skin from the cutting process that is destroyed if you sand the wing. It is then very soft and easily dented in handling.

We should have a good time.

Stan
Old 02-08-2010, 02:10 PM
SailingAlong

I am starting to make my list of aircraft and accessories to bring down to the Fun Fly. I finished the BlueRay a couple of weeks ago and should start on the second one, at least the assembly of the foam parts. Oh, and of course my Shelby-Tape. I assume I will need lots of that! I might bring along a couple of my outdoor aircraft just in case the weather gets real nice and look for a place to fly nearby?

Steve
Lakeville MN
Old 02-08-2010, 02:42 PM
JustPlaneSweet
Electric Noob

Ok,

You have your Blue Ray. You should also bring a plane for the bomb drop and one set up for combat. (Streamer or full-on contact)

Stan
Old 02-08-2010, 02:51 PM
SailingAlong

Originally Posted by JustPlaneSweet View Post
Ok,

You have your Blue Ray. You should also bring a plane for the bomb drop and one set up for combat. (Streamer or full-on contact)

Stan
What type of planes are you suggesting for these events?

Steve
Old 02-08-2010, 07:39 PM
JustPlaneSweet
Electric Noob

Bomb drop - anything 3D. Typical flight plan is to hover over the bucket and make the drop.

Streamer combat - large wingspan to tag the streamers.

Full-on - something rugged with lots of battery life. A lot of times it comes down to who has the longest run time.

Stan