Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion) Discuss I/C or Gas Conversions, Aerobatic Planes and Sport Aircraft

AG-1 Agrivator

Old 03-29-2010, 12:27 PM
rea59
BEEP..Bleep..BEEP

Default AG-1 Agrivator

Made this last year from rolled up plans I ordered through the AMA plans service.
It's supposed to be a 1970s crop duster. The plans were for a Glow motor but I converted it to electric during the build.

Using a Power25 motor with a 4S2p 4000mah battery (2p because I needed all that weight up front, along with some lead).

Maiden flight was this past Saturday using a 12X6 APC prop. I was surprised considering the weight of this plane (around 6lbs) how quickly it left the ground. Winds were running over 10mph but this plane didn't even notice. I did have to keep the throttle up quite a ways to keep the speed up. Then again I had the wind helping one way and subtracting the other. Very, very smooth flying and slows down on landing great. (with a 10mph headwind you can land almost like a Harrier)

Nicked the prop on my 3rd landing so I going to try an 11X8 APC and remove 1oz from the nose and see what that does to it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ag1%20agrivator.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	124248  
Old 03-29-2010, 12:33 PM
rea59
BEEP..Bleep..BEEP

This thing is all solid sheeted on the fuse, even the tail feathers are solid 3/8" thick. Power seems good, although I'll be tweeking for awhile.
Still need to find a good pilot for it too.
I am still just amazed at how easy this thing flew. No trimming, just smooth flying.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:57 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Nice looking bird you have there Ray!
Old 04-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Dereck
Super Contributor

Good looking model you found there Ray. Reminds me lots of my dear old Four Star 40 in layout - would it be around 60" span, by any chance? My 4* started out north of 6lbs with 20 nicad cells pulling around 30A - a little more power than you have, but not much, and she left a lot of folk who thought electrics couldn't actually fly thinking maybe they were wrong.

So you have built yourself a good sports model that should give you great flying for a long while. If you fancy a little improvement, there's still plenty of us around who have modified good flying glow models to equally well flying electrics and can recall how to alter frameworks. That 3/8" sheet tailplane would be right out the window for one

FWIW - my Four Star started with props barely larger than it would have flown on as a glow model - around 11". She ended up with a geared inrunner turning a 15 x 10 at a mere 7000RPM and was way better than with the small props, in all respects. Your model might be even more fun if you fit a larger motor, keep your 4S and use a larger prop / same sort of wattage / current at lower RPM.

There's a lot of good looking models in those magazine plans ranges.

Regards

Dereck