Real Radial Sound - Page 23 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Real Radial Sound

Old 10-02-2007, 03:27 AM
Papa Jeff

Default Sound Systems for electric powered planes

Gentlemen,

I think that you would be interested in the following article on RCU;
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=908

Over here across the pond, Greg Covey has become one of the foremost
experts on electric flight and is most willing to share his knowledge. His P-51 (Hangar 9) Mustang 150 sure knocked the socks off everyone at the NEAT event a few weeks ago. The sound system that he used was simply amazing!

Cheers,

Papa Jeff
Old 10-02-2007, 10:25 AM
Johnr

Hi Papa,
It is good to see it is catching on over the pond!

Best wishes to you all.

John
Old 10-02-2007, 01:11 PM
Bysie

Default 1/3rd Cub

Hello there,

Here's how I installed the sound system in my 'World Models' 1/3rd Piper Cub. Simple but effective. It produces over 8kg of thrust on 10S and I use it for electric aerotowing. It sounds fabulous.

Byam.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cub 1st flight 002.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	43056   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of Cub AEFA 004.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	43057   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of DSC_0043.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	43058  
Old 10-02-2007, 01:23 PM
Bysie

Default 1/3rd Cub again

Me again,

I forgot to add this piccy, The Flightpower pack powers the amplifier. I have since changed from the 3S pack shown to a 4S 1800 pack.

Byam.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of Cub AEFA 009.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	43059  
Old 10-03-2007, 01:23 PM
TonyN

Hi John and All,

John, thanks for sending the arial video clip taken form the Hornet at the Basingstoke bash...saw a few glimpses of the Lancaster and its shadow...certainly differerent.
At the Hastings flying in last weekend I almost crashed the Lancaster...very turbulent conditions which reveald a rearwards C of G. Not sure how I missed it but ended up putting half a kilo of lead in the nose to achieve balance!!! Needless to say I will replace the lead with another 3 cells to bring the amplifier voltage up to 18.0V nominal (15-cells).

The finishing of Big Boeing B50 is finally underway and I have allocated 7kg (15lbs) for sound equipment At the moment I am planing to put 2 speakers into each of the 4 nacelles. These will be mounted in the cowl and angled at 45deg towards the ground so they should give good directional sound both on the ground and in the air. The set-up will draw around 350W but I'm hoping I can improve on the 102db at 1m I currently get from the Lanc (with speakers under the wing) and push 104-106db .....

I'll keep you up-dated....Cheers

Tony
Old 10-03-2007, 07:41 PM
Guy Fawcett

Hello

Is it possible to create your own Benedini .PCM file for sounds? Has anyone tried?

Thanks
Guy
Old 10-05-2007, 06:32 AM
tclaridge

Guy,
I sent in a sound file of a real LaRhone engine to Thomas, and he programmed it in. Here is the video. First flight last week was AWESOME. I felt like I was in Europe in 1917! My sound system replaced the ballast required for proper cg.

http://rcuvideos.com/item/SCQC06WBL10LPM49
Old 10-05-2007, 11:10 AM
Johnr

Yoiks Tony, That B50 will be louder than a Pink Floyd concert! Good luck with that - it should sound really good. Glad you got away with saving the Lanc at Hastings.
John
Old 10-12-2007, 12:36 AM
Ralph E

Hi John and all,

I am having a bit of a problem synchronizing the motor start and shutdown sequence with the sound. I am using the Spektrum radio. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ralph
Old 10-12-2007, 02:03 AM
Bysie

G'day Ralph,

I know what you mean, so did I.

Assuming you have the auto shut-down module as I do, here's what I do with my JR 3810 which has manual trims as opposed to your digital.

1- Put the throttle trim to neutral (this is critical)
2- Place the throttle stick ever so slightly open. (I use a key on my key ring as a gauge and pull the throttle stick against it)
3- Turn on the transmitter
4- Turn on the receiver
5- Turn on the sound system (amplifier)

The above works for me, just remember that the shut down mode goes for around 15 seconds. So as the sound stops, pull the throttle stick all the way back which stops the prop.

Byam.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:50 AM
tclaridge

Ralph,
I have the DX7, and a Benedini sound system and here's what I do: The sound runs from the flap switch. I programmed an engine startup/kill on AUX2 using mixing. For starting the engine and sound at the same time, both flap and AUX2 switches are pushed up together (I always use a neck strap, so this is easy to do.

For shut down, go to idle and flip the sound switch up, then when I hear the last backfire, flip the AUX2 switch down to kill the engine. Not too hard to get it right.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:45 AM
Johnr

Hello Ralph.
Q1 Which system do you have the 'autostart' or the one with auxiliary control?
Q2 Are you using the programme mode where you short out the two contacts on the circuit board?
Q3 If so do you get a beep noise from the speaker when you short out the contacts?
John
Old 10-12-2007, 03:51 PM
Ralph E

Hi John,
1. I am using the autostart as recommended in the instructions. On the aux channel which on my DX6 corresponds to a 2-position flap switch I have the machine gun sound which works as advertised.
2. I am using the programme mode shorting out the two contacts on the circuit board.
3. I am getting the beep and entering the programm mode as advertised.

By playing with it I have been able to get close to getting it right, however it is still far from perfect. It is the idle and shutdown sequence that is giving me the problem.

Thanks,

Ralph
Old 10-12-2007, 06:01 PM
Johnr

Hi Ralph, you really need a 'centre off' three position swith for the auxiliary control, not a two position switch. This could be some of the problem. Is there another switch that you could use or maybe a dial?
John
Old 10-12-2007, 10:03 PM
Ralph E

Hi John,

I am planning to upgrade to the DX7 which has three position flap and aux switches available. In your opinion is this the best way to go instead of rigging in parallel to the ESC? Obviously I am trying to get it to work as scale like as possible. Tclaridge on post 560 above has what appears to be a similar setup with the DX7. Which would be the best option?

Thanks to all of you for your comments.

Ralph
Old 10-15-2007, 11:16 AM
Johnr

Hi Ralph,
If you do not have a centre off three position switch or a rotating dial (which is more difficlult to operate) then you could try allocating something like the aileron output as the auxiliary control so that you could check that the sound circuit is functioning properly.
John
Old 10-15-2007, 02:22 PM
tclaridge

Ralph,
I think the DX7 will give you what you need. I use the flap switch. It has three positions, and then I used two mixes to program the sound. Mix1 for switch up, Mix2 for switch down. You can programme the flap switch to run any channel you put the sound on.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:25 AM
Ralph E

Hi to all,
I am still a little confused with the flap setup and the mixes. Are you suggesting then to connect the sound directly to the flap switch and then mixing the throttle in? I am sorry but it still not clear in my mind as to how to go about it. My DX7 should be arriving early next week. I am already becoming familiar with the manual trying to figure this out ahead of time.

Thanks,

Ralph
Old 11-10-2007, 07:21 PM
Chris Hornby

Hi I am new to this forum. I have a YT Stuka (78" span) and am thinking of electrifying it. I have the sound system from Thomas with the Stuka engine, 2 MGs and siren. The build will probably take me some time but I am interested to know if anyone has tried this. I have a DX7 BTW and am trying to program the engine on the throttle stick and the MG and siren on the Flaps switch. Only limited success so far but Thomas is very helpful. I also have the programming adaptor and my biggest breakthrough was discovering that it had a "learn" button on the RS232 plug!

Chris
Old 11-11-2007, 12:42 AM
tclaridge

This is how my TBS 5 works. This is not for the TBS micro.

I use the flap switch on the DX7 to change and activate sound. So down "X" times is the sound selection, and up once is the sound activate. The throttle will work automatically with engine revs. I use Aux2 for low idle start (up position) and engine cut off (down postion). The engine startup/shutdown X=1. MG1 is on 3 clicks, and MG2 is on 4 clicks. I only use MG1 for the Sopwith Camel.

Engine start/shutdown sequence: toggle down once, return to nuetral (middle position).
Start engine with Aux2 up, and Flap switch up at same time. Then return flap switch to nuetral.

Select machine guns by toggling flap switch down three times.

Take off and fly. "Shoot" machine guns with flap swith up. Engine sound changes revs with throttle automatically.

Land, then toggle flap switch down once and return to middle (change to engine start/shutdown).

Throttle to idle, flip flap switch up to activate engine shutdown, then at the end of the sputter, sputter, cough, backfire, flip Aux2 down to kill engine.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:46 AM
Papa Jeff

Default Bendini sound system review

Gentlemen, If you have not seen the Bendini sound system review on RCU,
I would suggest that you take a look. Gregs' P-51 was the hit of the NEAT event, the largest electric fly-in in the US, and made the Feature in the SKS video CD of the event. A few problems in programming the sound system were encountered, but Greg solved them all and the result was just amazing. I hope that you find his review of interest. http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=908

Last edited by Papa Jeff; 11-11-2007 at 01:48 AM. Reason: attachment
Old 11-11-2007, 08:43 PM
Chris Hornby

I Got my sound system working (eventually) for the Stuka. I programmed the Flaps switch UP=siren DOWN = MG, engine-ESC.
AN essential bit of information that I missed for several days and had me tearing my hair out was the toggle MUST be programmed for full travel up and down. Mine had previously been tweaked for flaps and didnt work at all with the sound unit! Also you need to teach the sound unit the centre position of the toggle switch using the "learn" button.
Now all I need to do is to work out how to trigger the machine gun and siren without using the flaps toggle (I need that for flaps) Maybe I might use aux2 for just full on/full off flaps. Any ideas?

Chris
Old 11-12-2007, 12:05 AM
Papa Jeff

Chris,

I think that Greg tied the sound to the throttle trim and the machine gun to a toggle. He also did this neat mod to program & re-program the sound module. Give him a shout and you will get the correct info.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:21 PM
Johnr

Hi All,
I am just re-running the bf109 68" wingspan Brian Taylor build http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...159&PN=1&TPN=2 with the sound installation if you are interested.

If you have not been on this site before you may have to register. feel free to pitch in.

It was the prototype 1/2lb sound with a TSB Micro and the first mono amplifier to run on 30v. This allows the sound battery to be deleted and to run it form 6S Lipos. 97dBa @ 1m. It has had well over 100 flights with sound over two years now with no problems.

The control is now easier so that a three position centre off, programmable switch on the transmitter linked via an auxiliary channel on the receover to the Micro allows for the stop/start sequence to be triggered by flicking the switch one way, and the machine guns are triggered by flicking the switch the other way.

John
Old 11-14-2007, 09:58 PM
sailr
sailr

Default simpler to use

Sounds great John. Keep us posted.

Originally Posted by Johnr View Post
Hi All,
I am just re-running the bf109 68" wingspan Brian Taylor build http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/...159&PN=1&TPN=2 with the sound installation if you are interested.

If you have not been on this site before you may have to register. feel free to pitch in.

It was the prototype 1/2lb sound with a TSB Micro and the first mono amplifier to run on 30v. This allows the sound battery to be deleted and to run it form 6S Lipos. 97dBa @ 1m. It has had well over 100 flights with sound over two years now with no problems.

The control is now easier so that a three position centre off, programmable switch on the transmitter linked via an auxiliary channel on the receover to the Micro allows for the stop/start sequence to be triggered by flicking the switch one way, and the machine guns are triggered by flicking the switch the other way.

John

Quick Reply: Real Radial Sound

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10342 seconds with 14 queries