Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Bob Hoover

Old 09-20-2010, 03:54 AM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Cool Bob Hoover

Hi
Do enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PftNh_SShlg
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRt6UnNzR6I&feature=related[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B09nWQHdRiU&feature=related[/media]
Take care
Hank
Old 09-20-2010, 04:31 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

That was very enjoyable to watch Hank, thank you for posting the vids, Chellie
Old 09-20-2010, 04:42 AM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Talking

Hi Chellie
Your most welcome
So very happy that you enjoyed them
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank
Old 09-20-2010, 05:57 AM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

I met Bob Hoover, at an air show, things were pretty quiet, so I was able to speak to him for over 1/2 hour, he was a very interesting man to talk to.
I guess bringing him something to drink didn't hurt.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:17 AM
Big Johnny
Master Of The Crash

Bob Hoover is the man. When he went for flight training in the army, the instructor pilot told the base CO, that "Bob was ten times a better pilot than I am" He was also on Fertile Myrtle, the B-29 that dropped Chuck Yeager in the Bell X-1 in 1947. He is one of the breed of Old & Bold Pilots. There are not to many in that club!!!!

Old 09-21-2010, 03:20 AM
Big Johnny
Master Of The Crash

What was the jet with the first afterburner???
Old 09-21-2010, 04:24 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Big Johnny View Post
What was the jet with the first afterburner???
XF-91 Thunderceptor

Old 09-21-2010, 06:55 AM
TLyttle
Super Contributor

Hoover was a demo pilot for the P39. The front line pilots were scared spitless of it because it would "tumble", end over end. He took an aircraft off the flight line, flew it to a reasonable altitude, and deliberately tumbled the aircraft. Apparently he did this with every squadron equipped with P39s...
Old 09-21-2010, 07:32 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
Hoover was a demo pilot for the P39. The front line pilots were scared spitless of it because it would "tumble", end over end. He took an aircraft off the flight line, flew it to a reasonable altitude, and deliberately tumbled the aircraft. Apparently he did this with every squadron equipped with P39s...
Yes the p39 was a lemon, you could not dog fight in it or it would tumble, when the ammo was used up, the cg shifted, and it was a hand full to fly, the Russians made good use of its 37mm cannons, against german tanks.

That backed up the center of gravity and made the plane hard to fly. They reduced the wingspan by two feet. When they were done, the Airacobra simply couldn't compete above 10,000 feet, which is where much of the air war was being waged. The British refused to use it; American pilots called it the Iron Dog.
We'd created our lemon. For us at home, it continued to be a glamorous icon of American air power. It was wall-paper for cigarette ads and War Bond sales. And the actual airplane was being produced in vast numbers. But no lemonade, at least not yet.
One country saw value in it -- the Soviet Union. So we sent P-39s to Iran and Fairbanks, Alaska, then flew them into the Soviet Union. Great Britain also sent hers off to Russia. In all, Russia received 5000 Airacobras. But why did they want them?
Russia had begun the war with antediluvian Polikarpov biplane fighters. Their designs continued to lag behind the west until late in the war when their Yak and Lavochkin fighters finally emerged as competitive pursuit planes. But pursuing bombers was not so important by then. Germany's bombing capacity had been seriously spent over Great Britain in 1940. She was in no position to go after the distant cities of the Soviet Union.
Germany's war with Russia was being fought on the vast expanse of Russia's western lands. And down there, nearer to the hard earth, the P-39 became Russia's lemonade. As a low level attack plane -- an anti-tank gun platform -- it was very effective. Then, with tanks out of the way, P-39s went after ground troops.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:49 AM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Talking

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Yes the p39 was a lemon, you could not dog fight in it or it would tumble, when the ammo was used up, the cg shifted, and it was a hand full to fly, the Russians made good use of its 37mm cannons, against german tanks.

That backed up the center of gravity and made the plane hard to fly. They reduced the wingspan by two feet. When they were done, the Airacobra simply couldn't compete above 10,000 feet, which is where much of the air war was being waged. The British refused to use it; American pilots called it the Iron Dog.
We'd created our lemon. For us at home, it continued to be a glamorous icon of American air power. It was wall-paper for cigarette ads and War Bond sales. And the actual airplane was being produced in vast numbers. But no lemonade, at least not yet.
One country saw value in it -- the Soviet Union. So we sent P-39s to Iran and Fairbanks, Alaska, then flew them into the Soviet Union. Great Britain also sent hers off to Russia. In all, Russia received 5000 Airacobras. But why did they want them?
Russia had begun the war with antediluvian Polikarpov biplane fighters. Their designs continued to lag behind the west until late in the war when their Yak and Lavochkin fighters finally emerged as competitive pursuit planes. But pursuing bombers was not so important by then. Germany's bombing capacity had been seriously spent over Great Britain in 1940. She was in no position to go after the distant cities of the Soviet Union.
Germany's war with Russia was being fought on the vast expanse of Russia's western lands. And down there, nearer to the hard earth, the P-39 became Russia's lemonade. As a low level attack plane -- an anti-tank gun platform -- it was very effective. Then, with tanks out of the way, P-39s went after ground troops.
Hi Chellie
Even with all her shortcomings shes still one of my favorite aircraft and had a special look and feel about them all their own
http://www.acepilots.com/planes/p39_airacobra.html
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank
Old 09-21-2010, 10:18 PM
Big Johnny
Master Of The Crash

Just think of the ole gal as WWII's A-10. Not a dog fighter, but excelled in the down & dirty roll as a tank buster. The p-39 was also a member of the Cactus Air Force on Guadual Canal. Wonder what would have happened if they would have put a Rolls Royce Merlin in her Bell made some ugly aircraft in their day, what about the XP-77, Air Cuda.

Click image for larger version

Name:	xp77-1.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	135877

Name:	bell-airacuda-3.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	135878
Old 09-21-2010, 10:24 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Just think of the ole gal as WWII's A-10. Not a dog fighter, but excelled in the down & dirty roll as a tank buster. The p-39 was also a member of the Cactus Air Force on Guadual Canal. Wonder what would have happened if they would have put a Rolls Royce Merlin in her Bell made some ugly aircraft in their day, what about the XP-77, Air Cuda.

Attachment 135877

Attachment 135878
yes the P39 was a early A10 , it worked well in that roll and yes Bell Lacked Styling
Old 09-21-2010, 10:36 PM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Talking

Attachment 135877

Attachment 135878
Hi Johnny
And btw The P-39 in russian hands never had the ordinance to take on tanks So thats a common misconception that they were a tank buster( Did you check out my link)
I think both of those aircraft are very cool
Ive yet to meet an aircraft i thought of as ugly
Strange or unusual yes but never ugly
Heres one for ya
Do enjoy
Take care
Hank

Last edited by kenchiroalpha; 08-15-2011 at 02:46 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:17 AM
TLyttle
Super Contributor

The P39? Ugly?? Wow, I have always seen the P39 as one of the most graceful designs around, every line being so... right. Ugly!!

Bell (like Northrop) had its problems with US politicians interfering with the manufacturers. In the case of the P39, it was supposed to get a supercharged engine, but "all of a sudden" that engine was not available. By the time proper engines were available, the design was obsolete. Same thing with Northrop: he wouldn't contribute to a Senator's (Symington?) election fund, B49 went noplace, the original stealth bomber, replaced by the B-36 which no one could ever call "stealth". One more time, politics trumps common sense and, in this case, the war effort and the Cold War effort; truly sick...
Old 09-22-2010, 03:49 PM
pd1
Still Learning

I have tried to find reference to this and I have been unable to do so.
Hoover was in the Mediterranean and he went from testing re assembled bombers to the Spitfire as far as I can tell.

I have an interview with Chuck Yeager, that did fly the P-39. he was asked specifically about the P-39 "tumble".
He said he couldn't get it to tumble and he thought it was another "well known" myth.

During WW II, Tony LeVier went squadron to squadron with the P-38 doing demos.
Could your reference material have gotten them mixed up?

Here is the whole interview.
From the book, Airacobra Advantage: The Flying Cannon.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1 biginning.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	135902   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 page.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	135903   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 page.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	135904   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 end-.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	135905  
Old 09-23-2010, 02:33 AM
Big Johnny
Master Of The Crash

Yep, but old Jack Northrop got the last laugh, with the B-2 Spirit. Did you know that Jack Northrop designed the wing of the DC-3. The ole Goony Bird is the toughest airplane ever built. 75 years old and still earning her keep.

Name:	DC-3.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	135922
Old 09-23-2010, 02:46 AM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Wink

Yep, but old Jack Northrop got the last laugh, with the B-2 Spirit. Did you know that Jack Northrop designed the wing of the DC-3. The ole Goony Bird is the toughest airplane ever built. 75 years old and still earning her keep.

Hi Johnny
Thats another very cool aircraft and one of my favs
Heres mine
Do enjoy
Take care dear friend
Hank

Last edited by kenchiroalpha; 08-15-2011 at 02:45 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:31 AM
TLyttle
Super Contributor

It's possible, pd1, but it is gonna take me some time to find the story; my library is really big, and my memory is not what it used to be...
Old 09-23-2010, 01:57 PM
pd1
Still Learning

It's possible, pd1, but it is gonna take me some time to find the story; my library is really big, and my memory is not what it used to be...
Same here