Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

$50.00 Scratch Build Contest Entry, Antonov An-2

Old 09-06-2013, 09:58 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Default $50.00 Scratch Build Contest Entry, Antonov An-2

I was panicking, 'cuz I still hadn't picked out a plane to build and the calendar was ticking. I gave some thought to doing another Tiger Moth or similar - I love biplanes! But I also really wanted to do a 'bush plane.'

Most bush planes, though, are Cubs or similar and have been done to death much better than I can do them.

And then, today, I found this amazing, ugly, giant biplane / bush plane, the Antonov An-2, with a profile only a Russian mother could love. I'm gonna give it a try.

Planned specs:
  • 40"-ish wingspan
  • 400-size slow-fly outrunner
  • 1/4" Dow blue fanfold construction
Old 09-06-2013, 11:37 AM
quorneng
Super Contributor

Very nice.
But there is an awful lot of detail in it!
Old 09-06-2013, 11:50 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Don't expect all of that to make its way to my build.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:23 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

I've been really slow getting started. So far, I've almost built one wing ...

I'm using a new method that I've never tried before and which I half expect to fail, so I've done a terrible job of documenting in this scant progress.

Hopefully, I'll pick up the pace once I figure out how I'm gonna proceed.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:11 AM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
I've been really slow getting started. So far, I've almost built one wing ...

I'm using a new method that I've never tried before and which I half expect to fail, so I've done a terrible job of documenting in this scant progress.

Hopefully, I'll pick up the pace once I figure out how I'm gonna proceed.
Hey there Mark, that sounds familiar!
Im not too sure what mine will turn out to be either.
Crash
Old 09-18-2013, 06:15 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Alright. This is a weird build and I've gone into it with no plan whatsoever. I don't mean that I don't have design/plans (though I don't); I mean that I really have no idea about how to build the plane. How will I mount the wings? Etc?

But you deserve a few photos, at least, so ...

The only thing I knew going in was that I wanted to try something different for the wings. I don't have a hot wire cutter, but still wanted something airfoil-ish, so I played with the idea of using the fold on my fanfold foam for the leading edge of the wing, the placing a spar through it to define the shape.

This was my first trial, using some scrap:

I decided that would work for me and proceeded to start with the top wings.

I used a carbon fiber arrow shaft from Walmart, sandwiched in narrow strips of foam, to form the spar and spacer.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:18 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

I cut out the sides, using a simple 3-view I found as a template.

I cut out a bottom strip using the same source, and tacked things together to get a feel for the size and shape.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:20 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

I gave the sides a bit of a bend by hand, then used contact cement to glue the bottom to the sides.

I cut out some ... bulkheads? to better define the shape of the fuselage and glued them into place.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:21 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Another test fit, with the tail and wings roughly in position. (The starboard wing is missing an aileron in this shot.)

Old 09-18-2013, 07:18 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Thats Looking Great another foam bender like me Take care, Chellie
Old 09-18-2013, 12:15 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

Very impressive!

The wing section might be a bit easier to do if you could get thinner foam.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:49 PM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Thanks. I'm still feeling less than confident but I'm not risking much by failure.

The beginnings of the Annie's weird 'aerodynamically balanced' rudder.

Two pieces of 1/4" foam sandwiched together, and then sanded into a semi-airfoil.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:42 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

I'm liking this bi alot Mark.......ailerons on both upper & lower wings....?
Old 09-18-2013, 09:50 PM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

As I understand it, there are flaps on both sets of wings - full-length flaps on the bottom wings, and inboard flaps on the top wings - but ailerons only on the top wing.

The real plane also has automatic slats. As I understand it, it has no stall speed.

Last edited by mclarkson; 09-18-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:35 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Thumbs up

As I understand it, there are flaps on both sets of wings - full-length flaps on the bottom wings, and inboard flaps on the top wings - but ailerons only on the top wing.

The real plane also has automatic slats. As I understand it, it has no stall speed.
Lookin good there Mark
Keeper goin!
Crash
Old 09-19-2013, 09:45 PM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Again, let me say that I have NO idea what I'm doing or how I'm going to proceed from step to step. But I decided it was time to get the lower wing on there.

As with the top, I started by cutting a large 'blank,' retaining the fold to use as my leading edge.

I stuffed two thin, stacked strips (1/2" tall) in between the layers to form the airfoil shape then glued the trailing edges together.

I cut a hole in the middle of the wing, to accommodate the fuselage. You can see the spacers peeking out from inside the airfoil.

Another inevitable 'test assembly.' About 95% of my build time is actually spent holding parts together and staring at them.

Good enough. Let's glue them on!

A problem with my new method of wing construction is I don't get the trailing edges glued together far enough in. When I slide out the flaps, or ailerons, I'm confronted with a gap.

Which then has to be glued back together again.

I didn't put a spar in the lower wing, but the wings themselves are very, very strong and stiff.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:15 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Smile

Again, let me say that I have NO idea what I'm doing or how I'm going to proceed from step to step. But I decided it was time to get the lower wing on there.

As with the top, I started by cutting a large 'blank,' retaining the fold to use as my leading edge.

I stuffed two thin, stacked strips (1/2" tall) in between the layers to form the airfoil shape then glued the trailing edges together.

I cut a hole in the middle of the wing, to accommodate the fuselage. You can see the spacers peeking out from inside the airfoil.

Another inevitable 'test assembly.' About 95% of my build time is actually spent holding parts together and staring at them.

Good enough. Let's glue them on!

A problem with my new method of wing construction is I don't get the trailing edges glued together far enough in. When I slide out the flaps, or ailerons, I'm confronted with a gap.

Which then has to be glued back together again.

I didn't put a spar in the lower wing, but the wings themselves are very, very strong and stiff.
Looks good to me!
Crash
Old 09-20-2013, 02:04 PM
pmullen503
Super Contributor

Looking good. I saw a real AN-2 at EAA a few years ago and got to talk to it's owner. Typically Soviet: short on creature comforts and aesthetics, but rugged and functions well. The owner told me you could set the flaps, cut the motor and it would pretty much land itself and survive reasonably intact. There are stories of pilots doing just that in zero-visibility conditions.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:31 AM
quorneng
Super Contributor

Looks very nice.

Indeed the pilot's manual actually states that in the event of power failure in the dark or zero visibility set the flaps and gently pull the stick right back and wait until you hit the ground!
Apparently when the slats come out it just sinks at 'parachute' speed with very low forward velocity so the chances of survival are good.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:22 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Here's what my worktable looks like, mid-project.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:23 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Building on the tail. I'm pretty sure this is the worst possible way to do it, but ...

Old 09-27-2013, 04:25 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Test fitting the servos underneath the top wing, one for flaps, and one for ailerons.

The wires will feed through the inside of the wings. I've got some extensions on order for the aileron servos.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:28 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

She's looking very good Mark.....lots of chemicals going into this build (Polycrylic, adhesive cement, Gorrilla, 3M, epoxy)...where's the Spakle...lol...?

Nice job of rough prep-finish.......can't weight to see what the outcome will be and how your power source works out....flaps will be interesting.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:36 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Looking Good I have to spackel my plane a little too to fill in some low spots, Thinking about adding a little white glue with some lite weight Spackel, has anyone tried this, i just want to make sure the spackel stays Put
Old 09-28-2013, 05:10 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

And I thought my Plane was going to be a Tough Build, You picked a Difficult build, and its looking great.

BTW
Model Aircraft Scratch builders are a Dyeing Breed of folks, Hardly No one Scratch Builds any more, consider yourself an Elite, best of the best Scratch Builder

Quick Reply: $50.00 Scratch Build Contest Entry, Antonov An-2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14235 seconds with 8 queries