Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Delta & Flying Wings
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Delta & Flying Wings Discuss electric powered delta (flying wing) style aircraft here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 12-22-2007, 03:52 AM   #1
rtrickyjr

Club: Buck RC Club
Friends: (0)
Default elipstik 260

Built one of these kits. Looking for what modern power combination works really well on it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rick
Old 12-22-2007, 03:19 PM   #2
rcers
Community Moderator

View rcers's Gallery57
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot 
Friends: (9)

I think a light motor is the ticket there....

Cheap option:
Suppo 2204-14 motor from lightflightrc.com

Use a light 3s battery pack with that 700-1000mAh....

Or power:
http://www.customcdr.com/cgi-bin/ccp51/cp-app.cgi

Use the cool or hot wind......both excellent motors... Again light 3s packs to keep the weight down...

I have been considering one - let me know how you like it! Some pics would be great too..

Mike
Old 12-22-2007, 06:01 PM   #3
Ribcracker
Flight Junkie

Friends: (2)

Mine uses a Himaxx 2015 direct drive with a GWS EP 6x3. I use a prop saver with an o-ring. My pack is a 15c 7.4v 910mAh. It really flies great!

It's easy to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:04 PM   #4
rtrickyjr

Default elipstik

Thanks much guys for the response. Ribcracker, what kind of flight times are you able to get, and how is pull out from high alpha flight with that power set up?
Old 12-22-2007, 07:12 PM   #5
rtrickyjr

Default elipstik

rcers, both those motors show out of stock, but thanks for the link. I don't have a digital camera, so photos probably won't happen. I, too, would love to see some of these planes in photos. It sure was a fun, easy build. I'd love to get another, but hobby-lobby is out of stock. I got this one from them when they had their every hour sale a while back, think I gave $13 something for it. Money well spent
Old 12-23-2007, 02:04 AM   #6
Ribcracker
Flight Junkie

jr,
Flight time seems like an odd question to me. I'm currently running fouteen different e-planes and all of their flight times are between 8 and 12 minutes. For the Elipstik I have the tx timer set at 10 min. and the pack comes back at about 7.4 to 7.8v.
As far as alfa attitudes, the Elipstik is not designed to do 3D. My set-up is way more power than is neccessary but hey...why not? And amazingly, wind is not an issue. The rolls are axial and blazing fast. Inverted flight is natural and both inside and outside loops can be tight or large. The glide is long and flat. All in all, it's a terrific aerobat, but it won't do 3D because it won't fly slow.

It's easy to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:36 AM   #7
rtrickyjr

Default elipstik

The flight envelope sounds good. I installed a rudder on my superfly, as did two others at the field, and it turned the fly into a really good, controlable high alpha machine (won't 3D, but hovers really well). We combat them now. Didn't realize the elipstik wouldn't do high alpha, but it ain't a problem. I was looking for a good 12 minutes, and plenty of power to get out of any stupid position I inadvertantly put it into. I know, I know, depends how you work the throttle, but was looking for an 'average' flight (some high speed, and some poking along) of at least 12 minutes.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:32 PM   #8
busboy

I bought one of these during the Hobby-Lobby after Thanksgiving sale. This will be my first stick build. I hope to start on it in a few days after I am done putting my Lynx together. I will post pics when I start. And ask some questions of those that have already built it.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:25 AM   #9
Ribcracker
Flight Junkie

Rick, Did you get that thing up and running yet? How'd it go? I'll be interested to hear your reactions and opinion.
We had a very calm day the other day and I discovered that it can fly slow. I was surprised because I usually just crank it up and wring it out. But I was able to do slow circuits about three feet off the ground and it was very stable.
busboy, This will be perfect for your first build since it's so basic. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. But I don't expect you to have any problems. Let us know, though.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:03 PM   #10
rtrickyjr

No, I put it all together, then needed some lightweight covering, and got hung up on choosing a motor, so I put it up on the shelf, went back to working on my Mojo 40.

I need to get some covering for it, it's ready to cover.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:24 AM   #11
Ribcracker
Flight Junkie

Cool Covering

I used both Monocoat (blue) and Ultracoat (yellow and red). No special reason-it's what I had on hand. I think it's a good idea to cover the top and bottom with different colors. That can come in handy when things get a little wild or confusing.
I call mine Ray because he reminds me of a manta or stingray.
He also kinda looks like the Batman logo. Rather odd looking, but flies quite well.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010071_tn.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	51292   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010068_tn.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	51293  

Old 01-07-2008, 04:16 AM   #12
rtrickyjr

Ribcracker, that is one FINE looking elipstik! Thanks for posting it.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:57 AM   #13
swass rc dawg

View swass rc dawg's Gallery22
Friends: (13)
Default Elipstik 260

My Elipstik will look some thing this

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ELIPSTIK 260.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	95060   Click image for larger version

Name:	elip260[1].jpg
Views:	127
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	95061  
Old 02-28-2009, 07:59 AM   #14
swass rc dawg

I think that I mite pant the frame black
Old 03-24-2009, 04:15 AM   #15
Jim Casey
Seaplane Nerd

Club: Florida Float Flyers
Friends: (1)

My Buddy Dave bought THE Elipstik shown in Swass rc dawg's avatar. They had dragged it out of the catacombs at Hobby Lobby and he saw it and said"I WANT it!!.
It has the stock 380 can with a built-in ESC. Will it have enough power to fly, or do we need to strip it out for an outrunner? Where's the balance point, and how much throw do the control surfaces get? First we have to get the wings true....they're sorta warped. It's time to grab the gloves and heat gun.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:36 AM   #16
swass rc dawg

Originally Posted by Jim Casey View Post
My Buddy Dave bought THE Elipstik shown in Swass rc dawg's avatar. They had dragged it out of the catacombs at Hobby Lobby and he saw it and said"I WANT it!!.
It has the stock 380 can with a built-in ESC. Will it have enough power to fly, or do we need to strip it out for an outrunner? Where's the balance point, and how much throw do the control surfaces get? First we have to get the wings true....they're sorta warped. It's time to grab the gloves and heat gun.
I think that the speed 300 will be good I just finished mine i saw it in A 96 ishu of back yard flyer and had to get it so I found it and ordered now I will make it my avatar
I will get you the CG hold on!!!!
OK back the CG is 4 & 1/8'' from Le on the center line on the nose!!
good luck tell how it flys
Old Yesterday, 05:00 PM   #17
Kasperwing

Can anyone help with where the CG should be?
Old Yesterday, 05:19 PM   #18
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Friends: (11)

Looks like a fun stick build. Can't find much for kits or plans though.

Joe

The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....
Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM   #19
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (8)

Can't go too wrong on design.

I am going to just bend a stick of carbon fiber for the leading edge, until it looks like the out line. Glue that to the straight hinge line stick (about 1/4" sq) bind the ends with carbon fiber tow for a strong joint.

Now I have the lengths for ribs. make some ribs using TLAR engineering and thread them onto the mid carbon fiber spar, some pictures had two spars, not sure about that. Bind the joint with tow and CA

Make control surfaces same way. A CG program should be able to give a reasonable location for tests over tall grass.

Might not be an exact copy but still close enough to fly. Should be a fun little flyer.

Make the control

Dave R, KI7MTA Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old Yesterday, 06:19 PM   #20
Kasperwing

Lightbulb yes indeed!

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
Can't go too wrong on design.

I am going to just bend a stick of carbon fiber for the leading edge, until it looks like the out line. Glue that to the straight hinge line stick (about 1/4" sq) bind the ends with carbon fiber tow for a strong joint.

Now I have the lengths for ribs. make some ribs using TLAR engineering and thread them onto the mid carbon fiber spar, some pictures had two spars, not sure about that. Bind the joint with tow and CA

Make control surfaces same way. A CG program should be able to give a reasonable location for tests over tall grass.

Might not be an exact copy but still close enough to fly. Should be a fun little flyer.

Make the control

They do fly quite well. A few videos on You Tube. I do not have a CG program. I like the "TLAR" ( that looks about right engineering) idea. Has served me well for 40+ yrs. With that said, have any idea where CG should be?

My CG is is about 5.5 inches from LE. or about ~1/3 back. Have not flown it since mid 90's. Upon launch it dove straight into the ground. But motor was not mounted all that tight but it did seem to be pointing straight... Ready to fly with 1300mah lipo is about 14 oz. I found this build thread. He is about 2 oz less. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Tech-Elipstik
Old Today, 03:01 AM   #21
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (8)

This is from the article you referenced

The Elipstik's center of gravity was just right - at the rear edge of the battery box - without any ballast at all.

That looks like over 50% back at center, but that makes sense when you think about the mean aerodynamic chord, and the area behind the hinge line.

You should be able to find a free CG calc program. play with it. It will give you a rough start point. Then try unpowered test flights over tall grass. When you can glide it with control, you can give it a little power.

Good luck, I have about 200 planes in mind that I do have plans for, so I don't know when I will try it.

Dave R, KI7MTA Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Delta & Flying Wings