Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 02-24-2016, 06:50 PM   #1
atriot

Friends: (0)
Default new member - new build MM Hellcat

Hi Everyone,

Excited to join the forum and get started with model building and electric flight. I've ordered a Mountain Models Hellcat as my first kit and will be documenting the build as I go along.

I still need to order a prop, outrunner motor and batteries/charger. I've done some research but it's left my head swimming... Any recommendations on which ones to go with?

Cheers
Old 02-24-2016, 06:58 PM   #2
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Friends: (2)

Have to look up the kit... If I remember correctly its relatively small so I'm expecting the list to be inexpensive.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:01 PM   #3
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Smoky Mountain Aero Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (64)

Nice! Welcome aboard. Are you a new flyer or just new to the site?

President - Smoky Mountain Aero Club, Sevierville Tennessee
Old 02-24-2016, 07:13 PM   #4
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Yep... small and light. 9 gram servos are actually overkill but ultra micro servos are not enough.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ro_Servo_.html
These are about right.

the HS-55 listed in the recommendations at Mountain Models reflect the age of the kit. They were the smallest reliable ones when it was designed.

The recommended power system is the old GWS IPS using either the brushed or brushless motor.
The best source I knew of for that is no longer reliable. Its going to take some research to find an alternative.

It will still be a 2S LiPo 600 mah. The goal is to find a motor to turn the same prop the same rpm as the originally recommended power system.

Depends on radio system compatibility as to what RX to recommend. It just needs 4 ch

These guys are good for near micro stuff.
http://www.2dogrc.com/

You can beef up the model and use higher power... but it won't fly as well. Its a plane for light winds. It wouldn't get much flying time in my area due to normal wind conditions being too much for it. It would work well as a larger indoor flier if the site is large enough.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:36 PM   #5
atriot

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Nice! Welcome aboard. Are you a new flyer or just new to the site?
New flyer and new to this site. I'm actually a little more interested in the model making aspect than flying, though i'm looking forward to both. Thanks for the warm welcome!
Old 02-24-2016, 07:41 PM   #6
firemanbill
Community Moderator

View firemanbill's Gallery67
Club: Smoky Mountain Aero Club
Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  100mph Speed Demon  2kW  4kW 
Friends: (64)

Cool, look forward to seeing the model.

Not really a beginner type plane though. Make sure you find someone seasoned to help you get it in the air unless you want to rebuild it again right away.

President - Smoky Mountain Aero Club, Sevierville Tennessee
Old 02-24-2016, 09:24 PM   #7
birdDog
Charging....

Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (7)

I had been looking at that model for a while. Having to find an equivalent to the antiquated brushless that they suggest is what caused me to walk away from it. I am sure it is an amazing plane, as all Mountain Models offerings are. I would most likely build it/size it up, see what room I have to work with and then browse here for an appropriate power system.
http://www.headsuphobby.com/Motors-By-Watts_c360.htm

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to B.S.
Rob
Old 02-24-2016, 10:20 PM   #8
buzzltyr

Friends: (4)

I have a MM Hellcat kit in the "stash". I'll have to get to it one of these days. Given the 7-8 oz weight, I'd think a Blue Wonder on 2S with an appropriate prop would be a good choice. Only issue will probably be nose weight to replace the weight of the original brushed, gearbox motor. The one I have is actually my second kit. I built one years ago when Mike Molt originally designed and released it himself, before Mountain Models took over the kit. My recollection is that the original one I had was a bit overweight, and under powered on the IPS. Using a Blue Wonder would require either a new firewall, or a mount you constructed to put the motor in the right place and distance from the front of the cowl. I think you could easily get by with 5-7g servos. I do think I might replace the single aileron servo and cable with two small servos, one in each wing. The other thing I remember about building the original kit was that covering the belly pan was a bit of a challenge. I remember adding a little balsa where it joins the bottom of the wing to provide more surface for the covering to adhere.

Good luck, and I'll happily watch your build thread here.

Mark
Old 02-24-2016, 11:46 PM   #9
fhhuber
Super Contributor

I have in my hand a pair of 15 gram brushless outrunners from 2dogrc.com. Each is the equal of the old IPS drive. these are a few years old and discontinued.
These are going in a DH Rapide 7 passenger airliner biplane.

2dogrc will know what motor to use. Slight mod for the mount and off you go.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:19 AM   #10
atriot

Thanks for all your advice, this sure is a helpful community!

I spent a few hours reading up on similar builds and placed an order a Hurc 300 Blue Wonder 1900KV with a 20A ESC with linear BEC. Also ordered a pair of GWS 7035 and GWS 6030x3 propellors.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:08 AM   #11
birdDog
Charging....

Awards Showcase

1kW 
Friends: (7)

Looks good from here. Should be a nice little plane. Let us know how that system fits in there. I may have to build one now

This might be a nice touch for it.
http://headsuphobby.com/Prop-Adapter...Type-D-230.htm

Good luck!

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to B.S.
Rob
Old 03-05-2016, 07:43 PM   #12
road king 97
old hat

Club: joliet rc club rt 66
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (16)

Originally Posted by atriot View Post
Hi Everyone,

Excited to join the forum and get started with model building and electric flight. I've ordered a Mountain Models Hellcat as my first kit and will be documenting the build as I go along.

I still need to order a prop, outrunner motor and batteries/charger. I've done some research but it's left my head swimming... Any recommendations on which ones to go with?

Cheers
Welcome and read the instructions well and take your time building a plane is not a race .good luck. joe
Old 03-24-2016, 07:42 PM   #13
atriot

Originally Posted by buzzltyr View Post
I have a MM Hellcat kit in the "stash". I'll have to get to it one of these days. Given the 7-8 oz weight, I'd think a Blue Wonder on 2S with an appropriate prop would be a good choice. Only issue will probably be nose weight to replace the weight of the original brushed, gearbox motor. The one I have is actually my second kit. I built one years ago when Mike Molt originally designed and released it himself, before Mountain Models took over the kit. My recollection is that the original one I had was a bit overweight, and under powered on the IPS. Using a Blue Wonder would require either a new firewall, or a mount you constructed to put the motor in the right place and distance from the front of the cowl. I think you could easily get by with 5-7g servos. I do think I might replace the single aileron servo and cable with two small servos, one in each wing. The other thing I remember about building the original kit was that covering the belly pan was a bit of a challenge. I remember adding a little balsa where it joins the bottom of the wing to provide more surface for the covering to adhere.

Good luck, and I'll happily watch your build thread here.

Mark
You're absolutely right about needing a new firewall/mount. I had assumed I could use a 10mm brushless mount adapter to retrofit the blue wonder motor. Turns out the IPS stick is 3/16 thick - much less than 10mm and not square... I'll need to engineer a solution, which is not a good place to be in for a first build. Though I don't think it's an insurmountable problem... I have a few ideas in mind.

Anyways, the fuselage went together quickly without any major issues. Do you recommend sanding the stringers with a block or by hand?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1522.JPG (1.25 MB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1526.JPG (1.37 MB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1545.JPG (925.7 KB, 203 views)
Old 03-24-2016, 10:19 PM   #14
Abuelo

Club: Open flying at the Chandler Bowl
Friends: (5)

Block sand only. Using your hands can cause dips and lead to uneven stringers but it is OK for final smoothing with very fine sandpaper.

Also don't sand to the point the formers are out to the stringer level. Really spoils the look of a stringer plane to see that. OK to sand the formers down a bit, just enough to keep the covering from touching.

Looks like a quality build job there. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Inside every old man is a young man wondering what happened.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:24 PM   #15
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Solution to the stick mount is... add material evenly on both sides to make it fit the mount.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:46 PM   #16
atriot

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
Solution to the stick mount is... add material evenly on both sides to make it fit the mount.
I thought about that but the offset is still too great. I'm doing away with using the IPS stick entirely and fashioning a basswood motor mount. Shouldn't be too much trouble and will be easier to align the motor square.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:54 PM   #17
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

That looks exactly like a Guillows kit, but with decent material! I loved building Guillows kits. Hated the wood.

You might think about learning to fly with another, more appropriate, learner plane. And like firemanbill said, hook up with some experienced fliers to tweak it and help you learn to fly. You're obviously a detail oriented person so you'll do fine.

Registered drone offender FA377YHFNC
Old 03-25-2016, 09:42 PM   #18
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Club: www.rmvc-cumulus.nl

I'm with RR above, I would shelve this plane/kit for a while, and learn to build/fly with a much more suited beginnersplane. This plane will 'fly' 5seconds, tops, and that would be such a shame of plane/time/money, and better for modellers ego.

Old 03-26-2016, 05:11 AM   #19
atriot

Originally Posted by ron_van_sommeren View Post
I'm with RR above, I would shelve this plane/kit for a while, and learn to build/fly with a much more suited beginnersplane. This plane will 'fly' 5seconds, tops, and that would be such a shame of plane/time/money, and better for modellers ego.
Appreciate your concern but I'm having too much fun to stop. If she crashes and is beyond repair I'll likely build another - to higher standards now that I have a feel for how these kits go together.
Old 03-26-2016, 05:24 AM   #20
atriot

Thoughts on the following firewall set-up? Basically the motor will be mounted to the basswood firewall which runs between the two formers. The basswood pieces which I'm pointing to with my hobby knife will be replaced by blocks for additional strength. The IPS stick will stay and provide support to the rear of the firewall.

Waiting on mounting screws from headsup - also will only finalize placements once I have a better feel for the COG.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1571.JPG (449.7 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1572.JPG (393.1 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1573.JPG (427.9 KB, 179 views)
Old 03-26-2016, 05:35 AM   #21
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Drill... install the motor... pull the screws and motor then harden each hole with a couple of drops of CA. Let sit for about 15 min then put it back together.

Should be good.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:19 PM   #22
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

Oh, that framework brings back memories! Looking good and I don't think you'll have any issues with the motor mount after hardening with the CA as fhhuber suggested.

Registered drone offender FA377YHFNC

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft