Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Help with conversion to electric power system

Old 07-11-2015, 08:20 AM
DonT
Don Thompson

Question Help with conversion to electric power system

Have Top Flite Gold Edition Piper Arrow II. Ready to start building but want to convert to electric power. Would appreciate any help with sizing motor, LiPo batteries, BEC or UBEC, placement of hatches for access to batteries etc.etc

Don Thompson - South Africa
Old 07-11-2015, 10:46 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by DonT View Post
Have Top Flite Gold Edition Piper Arrow II. Ready to start building but want to convert to electric power. Would appreciate any help with sizing motor, LiPo batteries, BEC or UBEC, placement of hatches for access to batteries etc.etc

Don Thompson - South Africa
Here is a nice 60 to 90 size Quality motor and 100 AMP ESC Combo that will fly your plane very well with up to 1300 watts of power,

http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...esc-p-328.html

Powerful motor replacement for .60-.90 size glow engine airplanes
Motor Stats
Wire Winds / Turns: 16
Ni-Mh Battery : 16 - 24 cells
Li-Po Battery : 5 / 8 cells
RPM per volt : 380
Max efficiency : 88%
Max efficiency current : 18 - 40A (>81%)
No Load Current / 10V : 1.5A
Max Current : 60A / 60 sec
Dimension : 50 x 65mm
Shaft : 6mm
Max Watts: 1300W
Continuous Watts: 1000W
Weight : 400g (14oz)
Recommended Model Weight : 3,000 - 6,000g (6.6 lbs to 13.25 lbs)

Recommended Propeller without gearbox
16 cells Ni-Mh : 18 x 10
20 cells Ni-Mh : 16 x 10
24 cells Ni-Mh : 14 x 8
7 cells Li-Po : 14 x 10 ********************************************

use a 10 amp Castle creation UBEC
http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...ns-p-1217.html

Use a 7 cell lipo, one 4 cell and one 3 cell lipo hooked in series for 7 cells

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16499

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

REQUIRES

• Engine: .60-.91 (10-15cc) 2-stroke OR .70-.91 (11.5-15cc) 4-stroke
SPECS

• Wingspan: 81" (2060mm)
  • Wing Area: 1089 sq in (70.2 sq dm)
  • Weight: 12-14lb (5.4-6.35kg)
Old 07-11-2015, 10:54 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Motor Mounting

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39483

UBEC Info

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39138

You can use 4000 mah to 5000mah lipos use at least a 40C rated lipo, in you need to save weight use the 4000mah lipos Rather than the 5000 mah lipos
Old 07-11-2015, 11:01 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Welcome To Wattflyers DonT
Old 07-11-2015, 12:49 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Consider yourself in goods hands with Chellie's advice. She's the best. Taught me everything I know.

I have the smaller Great Planes Cherokee that I converted from Gas to Electric. Also made it a Piper Arrow by adding retracts. Not be as big and heavy as your Top Flight. It may be 6 lbs. I used a Powerup 46 from Headsuprc with a 85 amp esc and run it on 5S, 40CC 4000mah.

I suspect your plane is much bigger and heavier. It has an 81" wingspan. In my Top flight Gold edition P-47 I used a Rimfire 1.20 with a 100 amp esc. and run it on 6S, 40C 4000mah. Plenty of power and she weighs 12 lbs. Rimfire is Tower Hobby's signature brand. But your plane must weigh in around 13 lbs AUW ? She's a hoss ! I think they call for 60-90 size two stroke. I would not hesitate to up the ante a little and go for a 1.20 electric motor

Here's a build log I found: http://dav.ie/arrow.html

You can go with the linear BEC that's integral with the esc but I'd recommend adding a 5-10 amp ubec. Plane Is too valuable to take any chances. This one will need a satellite receiver if you're using Spektrum.

Seeing that you're in SA, it may not be feasible for you to buy from some of the US online shops. Hobby King may be your best bet for the electrics. In that case, look at the Turnigy S3 Aerodrive series of motors. Pretty good quality. They also have a big selection of ESC's and UBEC's. I like the Turnigy Plush series myself. On lipos, check out China Hobby Line(CHL) Good quality and pricing. You're gonna need at least a 6S 40C 4000-5000 mah lipo to get her off the ground. Check that you have a place to mount such a battery. Might have to rearrange the furniture so to speak. Probably, where the fuel tank normally goes. The CG will also likely change from the recommended depending on the motor and lipo.

Good luck and keep us posted on your build !

Cheers,

Hawk
Old 07-11-2015, 03:46 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Hardest parts of e-conversion are finding a way to access the batteries and getting CG correct with minimum (hopefully none) "dead lead" ballast added.

Small planes its not too bad needing to pull the wing for battery access. Larger planes you really need a hatch.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:10 AM
DonT
Don Thompson

Thumbs up Help with conversion to electric power system #2

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. I will certainly follow up the leads proposed by Cellie and Hawk. Being a newcomer to electric flight I was told that have been some significant advances in ESC's, BEC's and UBEC's. I do not know where to gather this information. I would hate to lose a 81" plane that I spent many hours building as a result of loosing the motor power source along with the servos. Please advise.

DonT
Old 07-17-2015, 03:06 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Don,

Of course, there are trade offs between the really high end stuff and the run of the mill. For example: Hitec or Futaba servos versus Turnigy. Big price difference. Castle Creations or Jeti esc's versus Hobbywing or Turnigy. Scorpion or Hacker motors versus Turnigy or Rim Fire. Do you always get what you pay for?

Tough decisions sometimes.

Seems like you're going to need a 1.2 size motor with at least a 100 amp esc. If you're on the edge for the esc, go one notch up and get a 120 amp. More is better.

I know Denny(kyleservicetech ) has a lot of big, heavy electric birds and he's a Hacker fan. Maybe he can chime in.

Cheers,

Hawk
Old 07-17-2015, 03:50 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

When 6S LiPo or above I ALWAYS use a separate battery for the RX from the one used to power the motor.

I really like the 2 cell (2S) LiFe packs for the RX system. Direct connection and no servos that you should be using in that size plane that can't handle the voltage.

Note that typical receiver switch harneses are good for only up to 5 amps... and heavy duty ones are only really good to 7 amps. Large aircraft with several high power servos can demand more current thant he switch can handle if using just one, so I have several planes with 2 receiver batteries and switches and I have 4 of the Spektrum "Power Safe" receivers for my really large high performance stuff. The "Power Safe" receivers can handle more than 7 amps PER SERVO (thats the continuous demand limit of the common servo wire)

With large models you need to test and ensure you can't pull voltage at the receiver down excessively under the maximum possible in-flight servo load. I test to having the load of 1/2 of the servos stalled.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:18 PM
DonT
Don Thompson

Smile Help with conversion to electric power system #2

Once again, it seems as if I've got into the right forum. Thanks for the solid advice. Will communicate on a regular basis as to any help that I can get from the contributors to "wattflyers".

DonT