Off Topic Chit Chat Get to know other eflight modelers in the WattFlyer community here in this off topic forum. NO politics or religion discussion please (Holiday well wishes are ok)

Advertising ? is everyone getting it?

Old 02-18-2016, 05:41 AM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Default Advertising ? is everyone getting it?

I have started seeing advertising all over the posts as if the people who write the posts are sponsoring it. I have the general ads turned off, but these come right through.

It may be the new way to pay for our site and that's fine if that is true, but I haven't seen any other people mention it.

I am running Ubuntu, if that make any difference.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:45 AM
DHC Beaver

I too have had these adds appear,usually in bottom center of the window.
Funnily enough,the adds are local to me,so i don't think it's anything to do with WF.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:02 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

None of the ad issues here...

None of the unexplained long empty areas either.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:38 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Seeing them on Windows 10. IB Bob said they are showing now. Soilent mentioned a work around in the thread over on Site Suggestions. http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77082
Old 02-18-2016, 12:58 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

No have a strip vertical down right side of screen with various advertising when I show a forum listings ... when I go to a thread - the strip is blank.

I hope it does not get as bad as UK's RCMF forum .. there the vertical strip actually cuts into the thread boxes and you lose part of the text / pictures etc.

Nigel
Old 02-18-2016, 01:10 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

OK .... managed to sort where its coming from ....

It's b*****y GOOGLE PLUS ....

When I see the adverts - they have a very small exit button top right corner ... click and it asks relevance of the GOOGLE advert.

Now all I need to do is turn of Google Ads ... when I find the UNIVERSAL 100% ALL OFF - GET STUFFED - NO INTEREST switch !!

Nigel
Old 02-18-2016, 01:24 PM
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Nothing here.
Lubuntu, Firefox/NoScript/Ghostery/FlashBlock

Last edited by ron_van_sommeren; 02-19-2016 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:48 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Instaling : http://adfender.com/index.html

Lets see if that helps.

Nigel
Old 02-18-2016, 06:04 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Here is a couple of screen shots, of what I'm getting.
I don't mind them running down the right side, I just magnify my screen to 120% and they are almost gone.
The ones popping up in the posts are annoying. I may try Nigel's adfender.

Bummer, adfender doesn't work on Linux
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2016-02-18 08:57:16.png
Views:	51
Size:	446.0 KB
ID:	182958   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2016-02-18 08:56:01.png
Views:	52
Size:	307.8 KB
ID:	182959  
Old 02-18-2016, 06:33 PM
formontoya

Win7 / IE11 and no ads...
Old 02-18-2016, 07:58 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Here's another device (free) that drops advertisements and does not retain browsing history or cookies that cling-on after closing a web page........it's a free search engine that can be loaded in harmony with Explorer or used as a stand-alone engine. I use it most of the time on my travel (kick-around) lap-tops.
My business PC's are both highly secured, so I don't experience any of the issues many here have been having with pop-ups, random advertisements, spam, malware ect.ect.ect.........!

DuckDuckgo.com..........it's fast, quite extensive, non-intrusive, leaves no trail and does not submit any info of any kind to any Google, FireFox, Mozilla based web trolls..........it's perfect for YouTube and third party cloud storage browsing................and it stay's true and consistent with all of the advanced Explorer security settings one has assigned. I believe I mentioned awhile back that my IT buddy is a contract beta developer there.......I trust his work, so do my PC's.........
Old 02-19-2016, 12:32 AM
birdDog
Charging....

Nothing here aside from a blank area (maybe 10%) on the right side of the screen. Firefox with Adblock and Kaspersky protection (which is blocking Google Analytics, eXelate (2x) and Scorecard Research) I don't get adds.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:31 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

i was just about to type the side area is empty and not popup adds within the window of the thread......side bar just filled with a chevy dealership ad.

i figured i must have accessed some site and opened a window to my computer to being hit with adds. used to have issues all the time on windows,now its in the mac . i'm glad to know it's not just my computer,but i would like to stop the distractions. i tried to unsubscribe but google isn't having any of that. seems a shame they can force there adds here where we don't want them.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:47 AM
birdDog
Charging....

Oh yeah, I'm running Windows8. Perhaps the free "upgrade" to Windows 10 has a catch, or more.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:59 AM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Google, Chrome, and Apple are some of the greatest threats to society right now. Unless you are technically very savvy, they are watching every move you make. They know more about you than you know about yourself. Sounds strange but your cell phone, tablet, laptop, and PC are watching and tracking you everywhere you go and what you do.

I know, I am one of the ones who makes it happen. Give you a Hint: Learn how to use LINUX and PROXY SERVERS. That is what hackers and pros use.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:00 AM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by birdDog View Post
Oh yeah, I'm running Windows8. Perhaps the free "upgrade" to Windows 10 has a catch, or more.
Yeah that catch is they get a window to monitor everything you do.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:04 AM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by tobydogs View Post
i was just about to type the side area is empty and not popup adds within the window of the thread......side bar just filled with a chevy dealership ad.

i figured i must have accessed some site and opened a window to my computer to being hit with adds. used to have issues all the time on windows,now its in the mac . i'm glad to know it's not just my computer,but i would like to stop the distractions. i tried to unsubscribe but google isn't having any of that. seems a shame they can force there adds here where we don't want them.
That means at some point in time you typed the word CHEVY and they gotcha. Clear your cache and cookies every time you exit a browser.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:15 AM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
No have a strip vertical down right side of screen with various advertising when I show a forum listings ... when I go to a thread - the strip is blank.

I hope it does not get as bad as UK's RCMF forum .. there the vertical strip actually cuts into the thread boxes and you lose part of the text / pictures etc.

Nigel
Same here, running Win7 and Chrome. Haven't tried it with IE-11 yet, I usually use Chrome with newsgroups as I can open more tabs than in Explorer.

OK, Explorer shows no adds either on the side nor under the posts. But the thread is scrunched to the left as if there were adds along the right side.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:43 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Adblock plus has wiped them out. Thanks for the suggestion folks!
Old 02-19-2016, 01:59 PM
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Originally Posted by ron_van_sommeren View Post
Nothing here.
Lubuntu, Firefox/NoScript/Ghostery/FlashBlock
Forgot to mention the Firefox uBlock Origin add on.
Cookies on a allow-per-site base.

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
Here's another device (free) that drops advertisements and does not retain browsing history or cookies that cling-on after closing a web page ...
DuckDuckgo.com ...
I use Ixquick.com

Last edited by ron_van_sommeren; 02-26-2016 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:43 PM
Henry Sistrunk

I have it but not on other sites.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:45 PM
Abuelo

Strip of ads down the side that are vaguely related to my interests - an ad for the Scout 60 motorcycle and for a woman's motorcycle jacket liner, and pop-up ads within postings that appear random - sunlighten tanning booth. I live in the Arizona desert so a tanning booth is about the last think I need.

Have my Mac set up to automatically sign me in and to allow cookies only on the sites I visit. Firewall is active, Google is the browser. These ads are slipping through a crack somewhere and I need to find and correct. I think the ad people are exploiting every weakness and security hole to get their messages across, and Wattflyer is innocent.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:47 PM
Abuelo

When my post appeared in the thread it had an ad for Clothing Monster dog faced T-shirts.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:30 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Trouble is browsing history will reveal to many clients of Google / Yahoo / Bing etc. where you are ... what interests you have etc.

Even with deleting cookies / history etc. - YOU are pegged.

Chrome is one of the worst in this ... Google makes millions out of search info that they list out and compile to auto ad companys. No human in fact has to tap a key.
You search ... they pick it up .. auto logged ... into the list ... auto sent to their clients ... autobot then sends back to your PC ads related to your location and pages viewed.

Try this ....

Use for example Google ... type in a search term and then click on one of the results. Now cut and paste the url of the site you went to ... to notepad.

Notice anything about the url ? It has Google references in a string BEFORE the site part ...

Only way to break that is to directly access that site without a search engine.

Get my point ?

Nigel
Old 02-19-2016, 06:58 PM
Abuelo

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Trouble is browsing history will reveal to many clients of Google / Yahoo / Bing etc. where you are ... what interests you have etc.

Even with deleting cookies / history etc. - YOU are pegged.

Chrome is one of the worst in this ... Google makes millions out of search info that they list out and compile to auto ad companys. No human in fact has to tap a key.
You search ... they pick it up .. auto logged ... into the list ... auto sent to their clients ... autobot then sends back to your PC ads related to your location and pages viewed.

Try this ....

Use for example Google ... type in a search term and then click on one of the results. Now cut and paste the url of the site you went to ... to notepad.

Notice anything about the url ? It has Google references in a string BEFORE the site part ...

Only way to break that is to directly access that site without a search engine.

Get my point ?

Nigel

Definitely got it. Thanks for your excellent and perceptive reply.

I have my email reader set up to show the full address of the sender. Amazing what shows up -some advertiser is spoofing as Southwest Airlines and gives me 24 hours to claim my free ticket. Been sending me a couple notices a week since late last year.

Take care,

Bill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12087 seconds with 14 queries