General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Dynam Waco YMF-5 Motor Mount

Old 02-24-2021, 02:43 PM
GorillaToast

Default Dynam Waco YMF-5 Motor Mount

Hi All.

I have been reading threads about a problem with this airplane's motor mount screws coming loose causing the motor to turn and destroy the esc as well as crash the plane (obviously!).

Not a lot of info on how to access the mount to check it before flight. One suggestion I read was to split the fuselage apart with a razor knife (not something I'm inclined to want to do).

Has anyone come up with another way to access the motor and mount?

Thanks
Old 02-24-2021, 06:28 PM
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Don't know the plane, but always balance your prop.
An unbalanced prop causes vibrations and wear, robs you of power and creates extra noise.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:15 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

If the screws are buried - then you won't have much choice but to ease fuselage apart to get at them.

If you have access to a forum that discusses this - then best is to talk with them ... we can only guess based on what info you give us.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:43 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Is it this one :

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/10...ca326b10f9.pdf

If so - then the motor appears to be rear screw mounted ... many would have the X alloy part screwed to the motor - then the X screwed to model.

Is it possible to remove the round cowling surrounding the motor ? If its fixed - then it may be possible to carefully cut round the fuselage to remove that cowling - then you get to see better.
But note that factory had to fix the motor in ... so there must be a way to get at the screws .... The manual even shows replacement motor available - that indicates possibility to access and change it .....

This site also shows nthat the Cowling is separate ....

https://www.bitgohobby.com/search.as...&page=1&catid=

Old 02-24-2021, 09:39 PM
GorillaToast

yep, that's the one. And yes, I have had the cowling off. It just slips on with a friction fit. I wasn't looking for how the motor was mounted at the time.

I have been on other forums that discuss this, but it's mostly a lot of moaning and groaning and gnashing of teeth about how "my plane crashed 'cause the motor got loose". Not really any in-depth info about how to get at the screws, just one guy saying to split the fuse open. I was hoping maybe there would be some first-hand knowledge on this forum.

Thanks for your input, solentlife.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:56 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

With foam models you actually have an advantage ... you can if no other way - cut the front section off carefully and once work completed carefully glue back in place again.

Tip : When doing such - its a good idea to angle the blade so you cut with a taper and in at least two places - change the direction to create a 'notch'. The taper and notches then auto-locate the piece back when gluing. If you just cut straight at 90 degrees - then there is no auto-locate and you can easily be slightly out of alignment.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Repair cuts.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	188382  
Old 06-09-2021, 09:54 PM
E-Challenged

There is a long running thread all about the Dynam WACO on RC Groups Parkflyers forum. To access motor mount screws, remove the ring cowl. Cowl may be "stuck" in place and take some effort to remove. Once cowl is removed, you have access to the motor mount screws and can replace motor if need be. While you have cowl off, you can cut some grooves in firewall area to let hot air exhaust. Motor can get quite hot on hot days with full throttle and melt plastic motor mount. Not sure what to do with tailwheel problem short of possible foam surgery to get at and fix problem or adding a new steerable tail wheel assembly and connection to rudder.

I have been flying my Dynam Waco for 4 years, it's worn out but still flies great, is very aerobatic.

Last edited by E-Challenged; 06-10-2021 at 05:56 PM.