Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Different ESC's = Different output w/ same motor?

Old 01-25-2022, 08:13 PM
geb
geb

Default Different ESC's = Different output w/ same motor?

I had been successfully using an E Max 860Kv, 60 Amp motor with a Sky Power 80 Amp switchmode BEC purchased from the now gone Heads Up R/C.
While hurrying to straighten a bent connector pin, and NOT disconnecting the battery like I should have, I fried a component in the ESC.
So that ESC was replaced with a Hobby Wing Skywalker 80 Amp U-bec ESC, which ran the motor fine, except that it did not seem
to produce the same amount of power that the original did. In other words the throttle seemed to always have to be a little more
advanced to produce level flight at cruise speed as opposed to the original ESC using the same prop / batteries. I bought a programming card for the new ESC, and
changed timing which made no difference.
So, my questions is, if I bought a handful of 80 Amp ESC's for this motor, can I expect that each will deliver slightly different
power output to the same motor, given the same prop and battery ? Is there any way to determine which ESC will deliver the most performance for a given motor, short of bench testing each ?
Thanks for any thoughts on this subject that you may have.
Gary
Old 01-25-2022, 08:24 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I think there will be slight differences between brands and even same brands ...

But one aspect that often gets bypassed - is calibrating the ESC to Tx throttle. If the calibration is not done or not done correctly - you can experience similar to what you found.
Old 01-26-2022, 03:48 PM
geb
geb

Sol,....I think I did try recalibrating the ESC to the throttle, but never the less, come next spring, I'll recheck that.
Thanks for your suggestion.
Gary